[5] First name basis

It's late. 10:56p.m. to be exact. Akaashi knows they're the only ones left in the building besides security.

The two were finishing getting around to leave the building for the night. Akaashi shuts down his computer and is about ready to head out.

"Hey Akaashi, can you grab me my red folder. I think I left it in the conference room."

So much for leaving.

"Yeah, sure Koutarou."

Akaashi immediately freezes upon realizing what he just said.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry," Akaashi says, his eyes wide.

Bokuto is also momentary stunned. He quickly blinks away the shock.

"It's fine."

Akaashi quickly apologizes again and rushes out the door of bokuto's office to grab the folder. He speed walks down the hall wanting to get away from the office as quick as possible.

Akaashi is fully embarassed. He can tell his face is bright red from the heat he's feeling.

He doesn't even know how he said it accidently. It's not like he calls Bokuto by his first name a lot, it's just when they're around his parents, so how did it come out so naturally? Akaashi decides to blame it on his drowsiness.

He goes into the conference room, and sure enough in the middle of the table is a red folder. Akaashi quickly flips through it to make sure it's bokuto's. The untidy notes and messy hand writing is an immediate give away that the folder was, in fact, Bokuto's.

He grabs the folder. He goes to turn and leave, but his feet stay put. Instead, he aimlessely stares out the windows watching the nightly traffic go by.

Bokuto probably thinks he's an idiot. Akaashi smacks his face with the folder.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," Akaashi says repeatedly wacking himself.

He thinks maybe he could get away with slipping the folder under the door and leaving. He scracthes that idea once he remembers that his stuff is still inside.

Despite everything telling him shouldn't, he gathers what dignity he has left and walks back towards Bokuto's office. He makes sure to walk back agonizingly slow.

He takes a breathe before knocking lighty the door. He knocks so lightly he wonders if Bokuto could even hear it. He's about to knock again when he hears a muffled "come in."

Akaashi turns the handle and walks in.

"Here's your folder," Akaashi says avoiding all eye contact.

"Thanks."

"Do you need anything else?" At this point Akaashi becomes self aware of how much he's fiddling with his fingers.

"No I'm good."

Akaashi nods and turns to head towards the door.

"Hey akaashi," Bokuto says softly.

"Yeah?" Akaashi says stopping and turning to face him.

"You can call me Koutarou."

Akaashi thinks he heard him wrong, but with how embarassed Bokuto looks, it makes Akaashi realize he wasn't mishearing things.

Akaashi processes what he said. Oh, those are butterflies.

"I mean, only if you want! You don't have to if it's too awkward for you!" Bokuto quickly adds.

Akaashi smiles, "Sure. Then I guess it's only fair that you can call me Keiji."

Bokuto is only able to nod at him.

"See you," Akaashi says before grabbing his stuff and exiting the office, leaving Bokuto by himself.

Akaashi hits the button on the elevator. No one's around in the building, but Akaashi still tries to keep himself calm.

He steps into the elevator, hitting the ground floor button. As the elevator doors close, Akaashi puts his head into his hands and lets out a muffled yell.

When the elevator hitches and the elevator dings and opens, Akaashi straightens his posture and steps out.

The bottom floor was dark and empty. He walked out through the doors, the crisp night air hitting him immediatly. The contrast between the cold air and his burning face feels nice.

Did Bokuto just ask Akaashi to call him Koutarou? Yes.
Did Akaashi tell Bokuto he can call him Keiji? Yes.

Did he regret it? Not at all.

As he walks out onto the sidewalk, he looks back at the building. He can see Bokuto's office light still on. He fishes his phone out of his pocket.
11:48.

They had an early meeting the next morning. Akaashi opened his contacts, hovering over Bokuto's contact name. He debated whether he should or not.

'Screw it,' Akaashi thinks. His thumb hits the call button.

After a few seconds, the dial tone stops.

"Hello?" Bokuto answers.

"You should get going home. It's late and we have a meeting at 7 tomorrow morning."

"I know," Bokuto replies. Akaashi can hear the sound of keys typing.

"I will go home, I just wanted to finish writing this."

"M'kay, if you say so."

"Wait, how did you even know that I was still in the office?"

Akaashi looks back up at the brightly lit office. "Superpowers remember?"

Bokuto laughs, "Right, I forgot."

Akaashi hums. "Make sure you go home soon."

"Yes I will, I promise.

"You better."

"...Goodnight Keiji."

"Goodnight Koutarou."

Akaashi hangs up. Those damn butterflies are back.

-

The next time Bokuto sees Kuroo, Kuroo makes sure to clown him.

Kuroo whistles, "first name basis already? We aren't even on first name basis and I've known you since sophmore year of college."

"Shut up Kuroo. It's nothing serious."

"Nothing serious? You guys might as well be really dating," Kuroo smirks.

"That's not funny," he sulks.

"Right I'm sorry, I'll take your crush more seriously."

After an hour, Kuroo leaves saying how Kenma needed him back at the office. Bokuto thinks about what Kuroo was saying:

"If you really like him, maybe you should consider taking him out on an actual date."

Stupid kuroo. Putting stupid ideas in his head.

'But then again,' Bokuto thinks, 'he was the one who came up with the fake dating idea, and look at how well that's going.'

Bokuto stands up and fixes his suit. 

'A real date huh?'