Chapter 13

[Ben]

I didn't want to return to the cabin. If there were any more bad aliens around looking for us, that would be one of the first places they would look. But after all the action earlier today, the flyer power cells were nearly drained and it was a long way to the next charging station. I hoped what charge remained in the cabin power cells would be enough.

We had abused the flyer. The front end was crumpled and the frame bent. Persistent vibrations indicated one of the fans had become unbalanced. I needed to do a quick inspection.

Ar'ell laid across both back seats with his eyes closed. His long legs seemed to be bent in an impossibly awkward angle, but only because his knees hinged oppositely from ours. He really proved himself an ally and friend today.

Kie snoozed in the front passenger seat. I shook my head and whispered, "Who is this woman and what did she do with Kie?" I had misjudged her. Today, a true heart of courage and passion burst out from behind an introvert's shell. And I was grateful beyond words that it had.

And the way she kissed me... It felt so genuine, like her heart poured out through her lips. The woman in the seat beside me was truly beautiful. Why hadn't I seen that before?

Since the satellite global positioning system was down, we got lost on the way back. Bob became a hero of the day again. His terrain mapping function led us back. I felt guilty now for the number of times I crashed him when I was younger.

We arrived just past sunset. I gently nudged Kie. "We're here."

She yawned. "I am so tired. Could we at least get some sleep?"

"Okay. It has been an eventful day, to say the least. But we shouldn't stay here long. Let's plan to leave by first light."

Kie fell fast asleep as soon as she crawled into her sleeping bag. Part of me was glad she did not try to share mine. Keeping my gentleman's promise would have been difficult, quite hard, literally.

*****

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"About what?" Her voice stung. She kept her eyes straight ahead.

She had been avoiding eye contact with me all morning. There was an old saying that the 'eyes were a window to the soul'. It's kinda cliché, but for Kie, it held true. A few times her big amber eyes did connect with mine, only to quickly turn away. In those brief moments, I saw past her reconstructed protective shell. Her eyes conveyed a swirling mix of desire, vulnerability, and fear.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the hot makeout session yesterday and your cold attitude this morning?" Oh, not a good choice of words. I should be more sensitive.

She sat in silence. I waited, giving her a chance to respond. She turned to me, her eyes moist. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

"I'm not sorry. Kie, you were absolutely amazing yesterday in so many ways. And I very much did like the kissing. Did you?"

She dipped her head. "Yes. Too much."

"I'm not seeing that as a problem."

She paused again. "Ben do we even have a chance? Why would you want someone like me?"

"Why would I not? I'll admit that I didn't have a good opinion of you at first, for that I am sorry. But the more I get to know you the more wonderful you became."

She looked up again. Her eyes were as conflicted as ever, but now a bit of anger appeared. "What would I be to you? Just another convenient fling to be tossed away when another woman smiles at you? You've done that a lot."