Mischief at the LakeHouse

By: PHILstergnome of Nimbus Trilogy

One: The daughter of the Murdered against the Murderer

I walked into the vastness of the dark Hale’s corridor… lamps out at 9pm as the rule says. I tiptoed passed my way to the master’s bedroom where my Dad and his mistress, Cora were. I should not be heard especially the clinking sound of the circle of keys on my hand so I gripped it tight. I’m doing outlaw here.

I need to avoid them given the fact that Cora’s ear as sensitive as cat’s. I would really have a hard time passing through their room. However, I had no time for failure now as I’ve planned every move I’ll make; I’m dead serious and deadly determined.

Not very far from their door is where Anthony and Arriane were locked behind every time my dad were away and even at the night when he was present. It’s where my stepmother imprisoned them. It mustn’t be difficult to figure out why I’m not in that den? It’s because I act as if everything were under her control. It’s as if she had found someone in me whom she could fully trust. Cora Shelby then and now Hale was a cold, rude and a two-faced liar person. She’s treating us sweet and nice like her very own when my father’s at home and relentlessly harsh when he’s not. But no, she thought of me wrong!

As every story needs a background, Cora murdered my mother, Catherine Hale. Our family has been one of the most prominent people of town of Port Clavel. Rumors from our neighborhood said that Cora was envy of my mom’s jewelry bought by dad overseas. She had befriended mom so she could get close to dad. That’s all the history that I knew. One day when Anthony, Arriane and I came from a catechism on a nearby church, we had found mom floating at the lake behind our manor. Her hands tied and her mouth blocked by a handkerchief--- a handkerchief of Cora’s. Of course, no one would definitely speculate that my mom did suicide. Only morons would think that a person is capable of tying herself alone and jump out in the freezing water to die when she could always hang herself around the house; the most traditional and best way of killing self.

In a distasteful twist of fate, Dad doesn’t even try to investigate about that. He doesn’t even want to talk about my mom’s death. It’s a no-no to this house as if my mom hasn’t lived here for a decade or perhaps more. Now that, that wicked woman held his heart, all the more that it was impossible to reopen the unresolved case that that psycho was the prime suspect.

I thought it was a mission. A mission handed over to my responsibility. Unfortunately, what would a twelve year old doll-like kid is capable of doing but to obey like a princess, dream like a damsel in distress, hear like a deaf, wish to be free like a genie in the bottle and say fake things like a politician. What would else in this corners of the LakeHouse could I do? It’s been a year since we entered school, a place for normal kids to learn extranormal things beyond what the Hale’s manor walls could offer. Right now, we hadn’t stop studying but we don’t find kids as our age. It’s because of Cora Shelby then and now Hale put us up a home-schooling law. She hired tutors to teach us and my always-agreeing-father approved the stupid parental standards of that pathetic woman. My siblings Anthony and Arriane Hale were so much for it that they make a little rebel against the monster woman but couldn’t afford to overcome her. Instead, they ended up on the dark den.

It’s where I would break them free tonight. Tonight, it would really be over. No more dark days on that webbed-room.