Chasing a Dream

Inspired by the song, 'There Goes My Life' by Kenny Chesney

The sun was burning down as he chugged on his sweating water bottle. His teammates patted him on the back with a few cheers on the new record he just broke. Barry wiped the sweat from his face and smiled at them as they all drowned water to conquer the heat. 

It had to have been the hottest day of the year but, he had to practice - he needed to get faster. The track meet was a week away and the results from it are crucial. He needed to impress the talent scouts that were coming or he could kiss his dream of college goodbye. He needed this to go off without any distractions. 

He is called out from his thoughts as he hears the coach calling from the sidelines. "What's up?" he asked as he jogged over to his teacher.

The coach gave a smirk, "Impressive work out their Allen. You continue like this and there will definitely be a track scholarship with your name on it." He patted Barry's shoulder as he smiled with pride. "You deserve it, kid. I wish you only best in life," his coach gave a nod of pride then excused himself to be emotional in Barry's presence.

Barry let out a slight sigh as he recalls all the struggles he had to face to get here. Growing up, it had only been him and his mom - his father walked out on them before he was born. His mom was a young mother, who got pregnant in high school and never went to college. They struggled for many years but his mother never gave up on them. She pushed to give him the best life he could have. He wanted to repay her by getting a degree - in her honor. 

A slight tear leaves his eye and he quickly wiped it away. Suddenly, his attention is brought back to the present by the sound of his teammates whistling. He looked over to the bleachers to see a delicate silhouette waving and a smile spread on his face. He walked over to the beauty and wrapped his arms around her - bring her in for a tight hug.

"Barry you're sweaty!" she squealed trying to escape his embrace to no avail.

He tightened his grip as he buried his face into her neck. "I don't care. You gotta learn to love it," he chuckled before releasing his hold on her waist but kept her close. Before he could say another word, his teammates continued their antics with whistling and cheers at the pair. She buried her head in his chest from embarrassment. "Hey, knock it off! Nothing to see here, go about your boring lives!" he yelled with a chuckle as the guys waved him off and walked towards the locker rooms. He turned to face his girlfriend - Caitlin, with a smile and pecked her lips. "Don't mind them, babe, they're harmless."

Caitlin bit her lip and looked into his eyes. A sigh leaves her lips as she pulls away from his embrace turning her back to him. "Barry, I need to tell you something," she breathed.

Concern filled his face as he heard the sadness in her voice. "Cait, what's wrong?" He stepped towards her, but she stepped away. "Caitlin," he breathed. "Look at me, what's wrong?" he begged with worry coating each word.

She took a heavy breath before turning to face him with tears streaming down her face. He immediately wrapped her back in his arms and tried to console her. He felt her tremble in his arms and was getting scared of what was causing her such distress. She buried her head into his chest. "I'm so sorry Barry," she mumbled as the tears stained his shirt.

"Cait, what happened?" he asked as he placed his chin on her head, holding her as she sobbed. "Whatever it is baby, we will be okay." He kissed the top of her head and pulled her closer. "I promise," he whispered, just wanting her to tell him the devastating news. 

"No," she croaked as she pulled away from his embrace. "No we won't and it's all my fault," she cried as she shook her head. She noticed Barry was about to talk but, she beat him to it. "Barry, I'm pregnant," she breathed.