Prologue

Kristel's POV

I was raised by my loving parents and I've always had a positive outlook in life. From my childhood where my parents always held me with their loving hands and bright smiles, I've grown to be the warm person I am right now, the Kristel Marie Brookes who always smiled through everything. Most of my classmates were my friends and people always used to enjoy my presence. I was the happy ball and everyone around me should be smiling or laughing. Only either of the two.

"You can never frown when Kristel is around. She wouldn't allow it." My classmates would joke and my teacher would agree.

"Well, let's take it that Kristel is the Happy Ball of L.A." our teacher joked with us but I just giggled my way through.

People would always tell me that I was living a life everyone was envy of. We weren't that rich, but we get by. Both my parents are loving and happy. They cared for me and we'd have family bonding normally; something modern families in this generation are missing.

I would always be happy hearing those, having the happy family we thought only exists in movies, but it's true. My mom's a Korean and my dad's an American, but we lived peacefully, happily and contented.

I was on my 5th grade when I met a boy who came into my life unexpectedly, making most of my days worth while.

It all started with a small crush. Pure curiosity as a fellow Korean joined me in the classroom filled with Americans. He smiled at all of us and greeted us politely. Since he couldn't speak English well and I could speak Korean, I was assigned to be his buddy, helping him out all the while.

Fate's on my side.

I chuckled to myself as I bowed to him and introduced myself to him.

Our acquaintance turned into friendship that deepened as time passed by. We became inseparable as time flew by. After being fluent with English, he gained a lot of friends, but you won't be able to see him without me around the corner and vice versa.

Everyone's been teasing us that we'll soon end up together and that we should invite them to our wedding, but we'd usually just laugh it off.

It's impossible. He'll never like me.

He became my bestfriend, my comfort, my brother, my partner in crime and everything else. We've never made anything official, but he'd always set the butterflies on my stomach free, holding my hand and intertwining his fingers with mine. He'd be leaving kisses on the top of my head or on my forehead, but we'll both be convincing ourselves that we were just that close.

"How I envy you, Kris." Maria would say beside me as we walk to our classroom with Him and his guy friends trailing behind us.

"Why?" I laughed, looking back at him being playful with the other guys. I smirked before looking back ahead.

"You have an amazing boyfriend-"

"Best friend." I corrected but she just rolled her eyes and smirked.

"Best friend whatever, you have supportive mom and your dad loves you and your mom so much. You're getting so much love. Not that I'm complaining because you're certainly a person to be loved but ugh I envy you! You live such a perfect life." She sighed and I just hugged her.

"I don't live a perfect life, Maria. I mean look at me!" I told her and she looked at me.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?" she joked and I jumped up and down.

"Can't you see how short I am?! And look at this face? Who would want this face?"

"I do." She laughed and I smiled.