Spreading Wings - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

    Random fact: screaming into a pillow can really kill your energy.

    So here I was, staring up at my blank ceiling. My whole room was practically blank. A mattress and a pile of clothes in a grey room. No decorations, no personal items, nothing. We keep those things in a different room.

    Knock knock

    Yawning, I got up and lazily slumped towards the door, opening it with a creak. I was feeling cranky and lazy, and I didn’t want to be disturbed.

    “What is it this ti- oh.”

    Malaika was in the doorway, holding a broom. Her face was already covered in soot. “Dinner.”

    “Oh. Thanks.”

     Malaika quickly scooted out of the way while I flopped out of my room and made my way to the kitchen. My stomach churned - but not from hunger. I was in trouble for sure.

    In the kitchen, mom was at the table, with her head in her arms. I silently took the seat across from her, my head resting in my left hand.

    The silence droned on.

    What was I supposed to say? ‘I’m sorry?’ It didn’t feel like the right thing to saw. Why did I have to apologize to her for letting Malaika take a bath? I sat there, feeling awkward, hoping my mom would speak up.

    She didn't.

    A few minutes later, I was about to explode. What did she want from me?

    Digging deep down, I unearthed some courage and opened my mouth.

    “Are you ready?”

    I jumped so violently I knocked my chair over. Malaika was standing behind me, anxiously waiting. She moved so silently, you’d think that she floated here or something. It wasn’t that radical of an idea, really. Besides the fact that I’ve never seen her fly.

    “Yes.” My mother's muffled voice came out unexpectedly.

    Malaika held out 2 apples and handed one to each of us.

    An apple.

    “This is it?” I exclaimed in disgust as Malaika fled the room, like she always does. Easiest way to avoid a beating.

    Mom finally lifted her head up, which frightened me. She looked as if she had aged a thousand years. “Arella...”

    “How do you expect an apple to fill me up for dinner? This is ridiculous!”

    Mom bit her lip. “The price of food is increasing. And my salary…”

    “Isn't.” I finished for her. “Your salary is always too low!” I threw my apple against the wall, not caring that I had just gotten rid of my only meal for the next ten hours.

    “Arella!!” My mom was furious as she stood up. “Unacceptable behavior! You know why we can't have a meal!”

    “Because you don’t have a good enough job to support us!” I screamed furiously. “Maybe if we had someone else that could earn money like, let’s say, a father?”

    Mom gasped, her apple falling from her hand. It fell on the ground with a loud thunk that pierced the air the way a thunderstorm would. That’s how silent it got.

    The room froze. There was no such thing as time, or change. Mom stared blankly at the wall behind me, while I stood there, barely containing my fury. But I knew I had crossed a line.