“Because you make it your business to know the comings and goings of those you wish to cheat out of their money.” A raised eyebrow dared the male to contradict him. It seemed Derick was smarter than Artair had originally given him credit for. He just sat their silently, fuming under the scrutiny. It took a few minutes of silence before he finally gave into the demand Artair knew he was making just with his mere presence.

                “What information do you need?”

                “Kendrick tells me I am betrothed, and it is too a ‘woman I will not be disappointed with’. However, he refuses to tell me more, no matter how hard I hit him.” Derick’s scowl only became deeper. “So, you wish to know who you are betrothed to.” At Artair’s nod, the male before him broke into a series of mocking laughter. Wiping away fat tears that sprang to his eyes. Artair just held in his irritation. As much as this male grated upon him, he had a knack for gathering any information known to man. He waited until Derick was calm and watching him with mocking eyes. Artair had a feeling Derick thought his comeuppance had come.

                “You really think I will help you?”

                “You will if you want to eat soon, I know you had another major loss the other night. One that you really could have done without.” Artair knew it was the winning hand, and was sure Derick could see that in his face. “So, I suggest you either tell me what I want to know, or you find it somehow very quickly.” He smiled at the once more grumpy old male before him.

                “You want me to go against Kendrick’s wishes? He would have me strung up by the ankles and mocked for a week.”

                “Aye he would. But I am not talking about going against his wishes. Just because he is the heir to a lairdship. He aint ever gonna be my laird. And not yours either. He is going to tell me himself, he just wants me to sweat first. I just want to have the winning piece before the smug git can give it me himself.” Derick nodded slowly. Knowing exactly what it was like to be the one on the other side of that winning piece.

                “Anything else whilst I am at it?” The mocking tone grated once more, but he would take it for a moment more. One more time and Derick would regret it. “Aye, while you’re at it. There is an English lass in Edinburgh who was informed today she was betrothed. I need to know who too.”