As if. I sighed. "I don't think that'll work, Zara. Caleb hates me."

Zara shook her head and took a deep breath. "Chloe, I was born in a country where I am considered royalty. I am even a distant part of the royal family. So when I came here, I really didn't expect all the hostility I received. I couldn't understand why people couldn't accept me. No matter what I did, they took one look at me and backed away. It's always been hard to make friends. I live in a time where people of all race and colour are respected, loved, admired... but Muslims are not. That's just... it's the bitter truth. Here in school, no one is expressly rude to me, but I'm always alone. I'm a faithful, practicing Muslim and for some reason, that has alienated me from everyone else. But you... you have always been good to me. You saw me as a person, not a loner in a headscarf with a bodyguard. And you have amazing friends, you have a guy who genuinely loves you and I cannot let you take that for granted because I know what it's like to not have any of those."

My eyes were wide and my heart went out to her. "But you're so beautiful! And smart! And talented-"

"Being attractive is nothing if you're a freak," Zara whispered with a sad smile.

My eyes teared up. "You are not a freak! You are one of the most amazing people I know!"

It was strange to see Zara vulnerable. She was always such a cool, collected person.

"You're kind," she smiled.

"I mean it! You could literally be a model, there are people who would kill for your looks. You run like the wind and you're amazing at basketball and you're so smart... you're an all-rounder! And anyone who doesn't see your awesomeness is crazy," I said. I meant it. Zara was such an incredible person, how could she not know it?

The food arrived and she took a bite of her cake while I watched her reaction.

"Mm," she closed her eyes in delight. "This is delicious!"

"I know right!" I said and dug into my cheesecake.

There was silence as we enjoyed our cakes. Then she leaned forward.

"Listen, a jock is throwing a birthday party today. All the members of the football team will be there. You need to talk to Caleb there," she said.

"Who said I'm going?"

"Cedric, George, Dylan and Alexa are going. I'm sure they'll drag you and Vivian along."

She had a point. I sighed.

"Fine. I'll try. I'll tell you how it went tomorrow, in school."

She smiled and nodded.

○○○

I was ridiculously nervous. I played with the hem of my maroon dress as we entered the house.

"Relax," Vivi said. "You'll be fine,"

I nodded and entered the hall.

"Hey guys! You came!" George said, waving at us. Alexa handed us drinks and I took a big gulp to soothe my nerves.

"Easy there, tiger," said Dylan. I gave him a weak smile and scanned the room. My heart did a somersault when I spotted Caleb. He was talking to someone. He was wearing a white V-neck and his hair was messy. God, he looked hot.

"Quit drooling over Eaton," Cedric laughed. I turned red and glared at him.

"I wasn't drooling at him. I was... glaring," I defended.