Chapter 55

Katniss' POV

I open my eyes to another day of my life. One day older.

I smile when I feel my husband's arm protectively draped over my stomach and his fingers entwining with mine. I slowly turn my head to see him peacefully sleeping on his side. A slight smile on his face.

The rising sun produces rays that fly into the room and illuminate Peeta's messed blonde hairs. I slowly unwound our fingers and turned to face him. My left hand carefully went up to brush hair from his forehead. This slight movement doesn't wake him.

He better wake up soon, it's a big day for us after all. I wait patiently for a few more minutes just studying his facial features. I really want to see him wake.

I run my finger along his jawline and brush his slightly dry lips. I lean forward and press my lips to his. Closing my eyes, I place my hand softly against his cheek. I feel his arm adjust against my waist and him deepening the kiss. we break shortly, just enough for me to say one word.

"Morning." Immediately his lips peck mine again.

"Morning." He replies. "Guess what day it is today.." He adds and I roll my eyes.

"Seriously bread boy. Today is our 40th wedding anniversary."

"We've been married 40 years today." Peeta answers, basically ignoring the fact I just answered his question.

"I love you Peeta." I murmur and look him in his eyes.

"I love you too Katniss." He whispers and smiles widely. We sit up side by side and stare at each other. We've been by each other's side for a total of 43 years.

As the thought leaves my head, Peeta has already playfully started attacking me from his side of the bed and my laughing becomes the only thing filling up this room.

"Peeta - stop!" I manage to say and he does as asked.

"How about instead I give you a never ending speech about our amazing marriage?"

"Yes please honey." I reply and Peeta kisses my forehead. Peeta leans his back against the headboard and I follow suit but against his chest.

"I love my Katniss and will love her forever and ever." Peeta starts. I wait for him to continue. Please continue.

"Done." He says and smirks.

"Awww Peeta. I was wishing you would say every little detail about why you love me to the core of your heart." I complain and pout.

"I promise I will later." He answers and hugs me. "Have I told you that I love you very much?" He asks me.

"No, only over a billion times." I answer and chuckle.

"I love you very much Katniss Lauren Mellark."

"And I love you very much Peeta Joshua Mellark."

I look up at him and we share a long passionate kiss, just like the one we had 42 years ago on the beach in the Quarter Quell.

Where I discovered my undying love for one love struck boy.

That moment has led us here. Led us to this day.

Where our love for each other still grows every second and will continue until our very last moment we share on this earth together.