|CHAPTER FOUR🌹|

An ambulance had arrived in a moment not too soon.

All I could see were lights. Bright lights.

They were all blurry.

There he was. Mr Conner, the investigator. A man who was close to my heart, for even he had tried to solve the impossible.

The impossibility of discovering the killer. His death was a tragedy as was the resurrection of the mystery killer. My mystery killer.

I called the unknown monster 'MY mystery killer'.

I was not dead physically, but I was dead on the inside.

Just when I thought I could look upwards and see a beautiful night sky, once again the moments after dusk became a nightmare.

My heart beat with speed and took several short pauses at the same time. I shook all over though I wore two coats. Wesley's and mine.

I let my eyes scan the scene around.

I laughed.

It seemed like a typical crime movie, but there was one difference. This was real.

I saw a big bag. A big long bag being moved into the ambulance. Mr Conner was dead.

Nothing could revive him. I was sure that the paramedics could do nothing. For his heart had come to a halt. I searched for Wesley and there he was, with the other cops.

For a moment I had forgotten he was a detective. He was not supposed to take care of my case since it was not safe. He was more than a kin to me so he should not have been involved, but somehow his Chief Officer, thought him intelligent and brilliant and so he had every right to the case.

I gazed at Wesley and for no reason, observed his every move. He spoke with passion. I could hear no words from where I sat, but I could tell he cared. After all, he was Wesley Stark and he was never going to let me go. He had made a promise. I was his promise.

As though he knew I thought of him. He also glanced back at me.

I expected a smile, but all I saw was pity.

It was too late for him to pity me. I had seen worse. And the worse I was sure had not happened. The worse would claim its glory when Wesley Stark was dead.

I had to protect him. I couldn't let that happen. Wesley Stark was all I had.

Still caught up in deep thoughts, Wes walked up to me and offered his hand.

"I think it's time to go. You've seen enough today and more of this will just give you nightmares." He said.

I took hold of his hand but for some reason I remained unsteady and I stumbled. Wes caught me.

This was not the first time, he caught me and I hoped it would not be the last.

"Are you okay? I could carry you if you want? Or you know what? Just get in the car and I'll take you to the hospital. Is that alright?"

"Wes I'm alright. I don't need to go anywhere." I replied.

"Ray, the hospital is not too far from here. It's just a few blocks away. Just a few turns here and there. I think you need a check-up. You might be hurt. It might be a shock or something. It happens to most witnesses to a crime or even cops in a murder scene...I...It's..." Wes insisted, giving me more than a million reasons why I had to go to the hospital.

I held his hands tight and squeezed them while I gazed upon his eyes.

His eyes of untold mysteries. It was one of the reasons I loved him, those eyes.