Chapter 30

It was surreal to Emma. Carmen and Elizabeth were here, it was almost like they were never gone. Currently Lucy was bringing some of her newest paintings to the two of them who sat on the couch while Emma sat across from them on the floor.

"That one is very good Lucy," Elizabeth praised. "What do you call this one?"

"A peek into the abyss," Lucy said innocently twirling on the heel of her feet.

"Well it's certainly very scary looking," Carmen added.

"Thanks that what I was going for," Lucy beamed. She was eating up all of the attention as she hadn't had it in a month.

"How did you get here?" Emma interrupted. The relative ease at which their previous relationship had resumed was clearly taking an effect on her. "We're at least two hours away from the facility, but you get here in like 45 minutes." Carmen and Elizabeth looked at each other with concern. "You knew where we were this whole time didn't you?" Lucy instinctively cuddled up to Carmen's leg at the sign of conflict.

"Emma," Elizabeth began. "We had our concerns."

"So you stalked us all the way from the facility," Emma said in disbelief. "Wow even when I thought we got away you're still there."

"Well we weren't just going to let you leave alone," Carmen exclaimed.

"We were worried," Elizabeth continued. "As soon as you left we were worried. It didn't take long to find you, but we didn't want to take you again."

"We don't do that anymore," Carmen added. "We have you to thank for that I suppose."

"Well good for you," Emma spat back. "I'm glad you've gained a sense of morality." Emma and Carmen sighed at each other.

"We just wanted to be close in case you needed us," Elizabeth said calmly. "We know that it is very hard to start a life for yourself without any help."

"Doesn't help that half of my money went to diapers," Emma shot back.

"That's fair," Emma replied. "I have no doubt you know that the facility does help its graduates, we regret that we couldn't give you that help."

"Well I guess now you can," Emma pouted and turned away.

"I need to go back with you," Lucy said quietly. "Emma's trying really really hard, but she can't buy all my medicine, and I haven't been able to sell any paintings," Lucy stared at the ground in melancholy. "If I can go back with you I can come back later and help her out and be useful." Emma didn't turn around from her pout but she noticeably moved in response to what Lucy said.

"Oh sweet Lucy," Carmen said patting her head. "You are a very good big sister you know."

"Are you coming too Emma?" Elizabeth asked as if she knew what the answer should be.