The Day when Darkness Falls 3

Life of despair

                                I was happy getting the ring for myself even if that was not right to be happy after dad's funeral; I cannot stop looking at the ring after my mom gave it to me. It was a silver ring not plain but had some embossed images of wolves and engraved images of bats and it had a Red stone of oval shape on top of it. The stone was perfectly cut to give a bold look. Ring was always cold irrespective of time of the day, colder was the stone. Mom kept on weeping sitting on the corner of the couch where she and dad used to sit and watch television. I have seen them both spending their happiest moments sitting on the couch. How could she not cry? After all they were loving couple for 19 years from the moment my dad kissed her after the wedding. She was desperate and looking pale with no blood flowing through her face. I could not bear to see a fun loving energetic woman who was now wandering the corridors like a zombie. 

                                Now came the hard part we were out of only income of our family. She never went to work in her life. Dad married her before she could think of a job or career. Since then she did not bother getting a job. She took care of our family raised my brother and me and now lost a son and her dear husband. Our savings got spent in the matter of time even before she could think of a job that she was fit to. Debts came raining upon us and I was too young to do anything to help her. Selling of lemonade by children to help parents can come true only on a movie. So I always kept close to mom thinking that it would give her some boost. As the time passed we had nothing to eat. She was worried more when she sees me asking for food and gives me her share which was only left of which we had to eat. Then we started to get debts from friends of my father. Debts grew on when mom searched for the job. But in vain she could not get a job anywhere. Finally she went camp where dad used to work to ask for a job. But fate played in a different way which we were not ready to face. 

                                A fellow worker of my father got caught for stealing wood from the boss's warehouse when he checked the accounts. What he did came thundering upon our heads and were helpless. He had told his boss that it was my father who had stolen logs out of warehouse. Nobody there came to dad's support as everyone had their fair share in that case. So we had to take the accusation and the boss demanded money from my mom. She could not say anything at that time. So she sold the house which was only sole belonging which remained with us. She paid that money to the debt collectors and to dad's boss and left the house with the small money which was left in our hands. It was a terrible stage of life. Earlier we did not have food but now we had to search for shelter. What we did was……………..