Love Struck - Prologue

Love Struck

Prologue

            “Go! C’mon, just  do it!” he cried, pushing me up the hill. I glanced at the big maple tree at the top of the hill, flashes of lightning flying across the sky through the dark clouds. I bit my bottom lip and tucked a strand of my soaking strawberry blond hair behind my ears. My eyes focused on the small diamond shape kite, its tail flailing wildly in the wind, stuck between two branches.

            “Go already! There’s going to be a big storm soon!” he warned, giving me another push and stopping where he was, smiling at me encouragingly. I smiled nervously back and nodded, turning back around and jogging towards the tree, the wind whipping my hair back and the rain slapping my face.

            I reached the bottom of the tree, panting, and then proceeded to climb it, higher and higher towards the blue piece of plastic. My hair was plastered to my face, blocking my vision, leaves were slapping my face, and my hands were blistered and raw. I stretched out my arm, my fingers just centimetres away from the kite. I looked down at my feet standing securely on a branch and stood on my tip-toes, grabbing the kite and pulling it. Once it was loose, I tucked it under my sweater, I started to climb down.

Brmmm! A huge clap of thunder echoed all around me, and then followed by a flash of lightning, blinding my eyes. I felt an electric shock go through my body and, losing my grip on the tree; I slipped and fell on the muddy ground.

Pain shot through me like a gun shot, and I struggled to keep my eyes open. I could faintly hear someone shouting my name. The world was spinning, and my eyelids were getting heavier and heavier. My body was shaking, tremors racking my body due to the unexpected shock. I was so weak, I couldn’t do anything but just lie there, and my eyes snapped shut, blackness surrounding me as my consciousness slowly slipped away.