Chapter 21

Mr. Ratherham, in his last act of authority over Raina, had insisted that everyone in the household move to a safe, secret location while they formed their plan. Mr. Widestock would not take his defeat lightly, and although they had shown that between Kreel skill and Mr. Ratherham's Casting they could best Widestock's thugs in direct, hand to hand combat, that wouldn't stop Widestock from sending spies or assassins. It was a reasonable fear, and so they followed Mr. Ratherham downstairs, through the cellar to a small room Raina had never seen before.

Over the last few hours she had exhausted her capacity to be amazed by watching her father Cast. When Ibli had Shifted her and Kal into Kreel adults, Ibli had focused hard, and had to tweak the Shifting here and there to get everything right. George Ratherham's Shifting was unlike anything Raina had seen Cast.

For starters, Raina never saw him actually take any Baz. Not once. Gone, also, were the gestures and movements that Raina had been taught in class. He simply cast a casual glance at a thing and instantly it was something else, as if it always had been. The newly Shifted objects were flawless creations, clean and clear down to the last detail. As they filed into the room it grew longer and wider, expanding to accommodate their numbers. Mr. Ratherham called for the servants to fetch several lanterns, and motioned for them to be hung on braces which had not been there a moment before. Seeing the room filled with standing bodies, Raina asked if he might Shift them some chairs or couches, but was sharply rebuked.

"Shift them out of what, Raina? I am no Maker. You're all welcome to sit on anything you can find in the cellar, but make it quick, I am going to seal the door shortly." Raina dashed out and dragged a sack of Green Baz into the room, which her father obligingly Shifted into a lovely plush loveseat upholstered in green velvet with elegantly carved dark wood feet. Two of the servants followed suit and soon they were all seated in comfort in a spacious, well-lit cellar room. Making sure everyone was accounted for, Mr. Ratherham then closed off of the room by stretching the walls soundlessly across the open doorway. There was no evidence a door had ever been present.

The secret, sealed room now held nine people in various states of confusion and fear, all of whom looked expectantly at Raina. Raina stood up, because she felt she should, and put her lands on her hips in an effort to look bigger, stronger and older than she felt. "Alright then" she said, focusing her thoughts. "Here's a plan." She spoke quickly, briefly outlining what she had in mind. It didn't take long.

"The thing is," she concluded, "Widestock only has two paths: he can either make an enemy out of the Kreel by making us scared of them, or he can make an enemy out of himself by turning his thugs with their Baz on the town. He obviously doesn't want to make himself the enemy, so we only have to take away that last tool. We show everyone that the Kreel aren't the enemy. With no enemies, who needs Widestock or his "protection"? You can be the leader again, father, and set us on the right path."

Mr. Ratherham still looked doubtful. "There is a bigger picture, Raina." He added at length. "Widestock did not come unbidden, and my crimes were not committed against him. We are all outlaws against Bazza'Jo if he says so."

But Raina still shook her head. "It doesn't matter who disagrees with us if we have the town behind us." She insisted. "Widestock loses if the town thinks he's the enemy- the same goes for Bazza'Jo. I don't think even Bazza'Jo will stand against the will of everyone in the Padravana forest, if we can work out a truce here."

Mr. Ratherham looked at his daughter without speaking for some time. Then he slowly shook his head. "The risk is too great." He said quietly. You want to place our chips on Widestock's not willing to make an enemy of himself. I agree, he has been operating in secret so far, but I don't think he must continue that way. Fort Arnisson is a small, defenseless town in the wilderness.  If he and his beasts choose, they have the tools and the power to bend us to his will. And if he does not - the next bearer of Jo's message may."