Chapter 1: THE MAGICIAN

Mastery of special knowledge. Focused energy, ability to harness creative forces, problem solving ability. The time is right to initiate projects because you are master of your destiny; you are able to manipulate the forces of nature to achieve your goals. Take positive action and focus your attention to realize your potential.

"I'd like to know something more significant about this area," Marlena Christie's well-manicured finger indicated an inverted Two of Wands in the Hopes and Fears position of her reading.

While Vatche recognized Miss Christie's readings were always complete, and her own psychic strengths considerable, he hesitated several heartbeats before reaching for the tarot deck, surprised she'd ignore major arcana that screamed for attention. Why not clarify an inverted Death card that crowned this spread and suggested an outcome of unwelcome nature, or the also inverted Hierophant of her Immediate Future?

Revealing the image of a Tower being struck by lightning brought a subtle yet definite spectral shift, the cards coloration more vivid and alive. His reputation was built on quality of direction and warnings provided, and this change in information was akin to a trapped mining crew's breakthrough into breezy, cool, brilliant sunshine.

An undeniable warmth from the red bandana in his hand, a personal item this special lady always brought, and a physical pressure at his left elbow and thigh indicated Madame Brittalia was also in attendance.

"The Tower represents a momentous event, an extraordinary bolt from the blue, often heralding swift, shocking, dramatic changes. Perhaps there is a moment of truth, an illuminating flash that sets you free and you say, 'I see the light!'

"There is havoc, and this coming upheaval will force you to rid yourself of false, or even established life structures. You may find yourself altering important relationships in order to learn important truths about matters you value. Believe in all actions taken, they will provide strong, satisfying results." His flowing mane of raven black hair tilted forward in acceptance of the Tower card's significance, the emotional message in Marlena's now defiant golden-green eyes understood.

"Interesting and very likely unique experiences are coming my dear Miss Christie, events I suspect will not surprise you as completely as they might others. I trust these answers were of assistance in lighting your path. Please, give my sincere regards to Silas Randson, and dear Ruby, if you see her soon."

Returning the cloth to Marlena as she rose, he accepted an envelope's placement to one side without needing to examine its contents - Miss Christie was always generous.

Although he'd serviced an array of significant patrons these last several years, listening to Marlena Christie's future was an incomparable treat, a privilege he always relished. While his well-regarded abilities provided access and choices among desirable women of all ages, races, and backgrounds, he admired every aspect of her honorable beauty most highly.

The face was beyond 'pretty' and conveyed considerable intelligence atop a seamless picture, from wonderfully upright carriage, impressively square shoulders, those electrifying eyes! and legs of a quality even the most jaded skirt watcher's eye would twinkle in appreciation for. Her breasts, not overly large, but firm and well displayed, were impossible to ignore unless one was sightless.

Heard often in warm conversation with guests in perhaps seven languages, her voice was a fluid and intriguing instrument.

Utterly tangential to any description of her intelligence and the inner capabilities he knew of, he'd never heard her position within the fierce and rumor-laden world of art derided as either luck or a result of sexual misconduct.

The reading had begun with Four Wands, speaking of romance, foundations, happy achievement, inspiring results. Despite several cards that might signify less advantageous tidings, the Ten of Pentacles as her Destiny card was not unusual. Messages of prosperity, happiness, and success in major life transitions, Miss Christie's readings inevitably promised positive endings.

He conceded powerful problem-solving abilities and skill in manipulating the world to the Magician card she'd allowed to slip loose while shuffling. Whatever negative influences might otherwise attach to the inverted wands she'd wanted clarified - or even the potentially upsetting nature of La Muerte - were merely challenges to wield her extraordinary abilities against.

The Moon card that Crossed this array, and a Judgment card which spoke to her view of Self, were clear: Nothing would be denied this Woman. If the Moon card spoke of uncertainty and this Tower of confusion or disarray, she would control more than her own future, blazing across a Universe that continued to smile on her endeavors.

Whatever Next came, events would shape themselves around this Woman who combined great inner harmony and personal attributes in abundance. Whichever God reigned in the heavens, a singularly blessed man stood on the cusp of learning what the magnificent Marlena Christie was willing to modify her electrifying life arc for.