Chapter 35

RECAP

"I love you, too," I finally admit. Our lips meet and through this kiss, I show all of the emotion that I've been too afraid to let out before. I let him feel all of it. I want him to know this is real for me.

He kisses me back, hard and fixes his hands on my waist. My arms wrap around his neck, pulling him closers to feel his warmth.

He smells so good.

"Levi?" I hear footsteps down the stairs and I release Levi to see who it is by the steps. Iris is standing at the bottom of the staircase in a white towel with her blonde hair all tangled up. The blood leaves my face as I take in the red sores on her neck. She looks at me and grins, her eyes filled with mischief. "Oh, hey Kara. I didn't know you were here."

I look back at Levi and he glances at me before his eyes grow and he holds his hands up. "Kara,..it's not what you think." He says, already knowing what's racing through my head.

I take this opportunity to realize what he's wearing. He's in a pair of black pajama pants and no shirt. He's grown a little stubble and has gray bags under his lids. His hair is sticking up all over the place but even looking like he just jumped off a cliff, he still looks amazing. Suddenly, I notice the red mark on his neck and my mouth falls open.

I can't stand to be here in this room with either one of them anymore, so I turn to leave, running back towards the front door.

Hot tears leaving my eyes and I push them away, darting for my moms car. I can hear Levi behind me.

"Kara, wait! Just listen! It's not what you think!" I can hear him right on my tail. "Kara, please! Kara!"

"Leave me alone!" I shout as I practically throw myself into the driver's seat and fumble around for the keys.

Levi slams his hands on the window and tries to open the door. "Kara, stop! Just listen to me, baby. I didn't do anything with her." I shove the keys in the ignition. "Get out of the car!"

I speed off down the road, farther and farther away from Levi. Tears are pouring down my cheeks and onto my shirt.

One Hour Ago
Levi's POV

Ding Dong. Ding dong.

I wake to the sound of the doorbell ringing and force myself to get up from my bed, stumbling over a mess of alcohol bottles. I'm still a little intoxicated so I bump into the bed post. My eyelids are heavy and I've grown a little stubble on my chin. The house is dark and quiet because everyone left on an assignment across the country. I insisted that I go with them but Isabella told me that I wouldn't be of much help in my state of mind and that it would be better if I got rest. I don't blame her for thinking that way. I'm a mess without Kara.

It's only been a week since I've seen her but it feels like a year. Saying I miss her would be a huge understatement. I'm lonely without her. Her laugh, her smell, her smile, her eyes—everything.

But, I had to do what was best for her. She isn't safe with me and me allowing her to live in a dangerous environment wasn't the way I wanted to show her that I love her.

Ding Dong.

I spray some cologne on before dragging my feet across the bedroom and down the stairs to the front door. Deep inside, I hope it's Kara coming to force herself back into my life. I look through the peep hole and see a tall blonde looking at the ground. My shoulders immediately slouch out of disappointment. I open the door to reveal Iris, standing in front of me.