Chapter 65: The Final Decision

Cole returns to the roof, Kuo was sitting next to Zeke as Cole places the RFI down and they both look at it. Then Cassie jumps onto the roof as she was panting bend over and panting. "Well?" Cole asks her, she shook her head. "There was nothing left, it's all gone," she tells him. He frowns at her as Cassie stood up and ran her hands over her hair. "Poor Nix, the family she made. All gone," she mutters. Then Nix appears "It was bad. It was so bad, Cole." Nix whimpers walking over and sat down, pressing her fist to her forehead.

He walks over to her and places his hand on her back, Cassie frowns sadly at her as Nix lost everything. "I'm glad you made it." he tells her, then pulls back as Cassie walks over and hugs her, "I'm so sorry Nix. I'm sorry." Cassie said to her, Nix nods and leans her head against her belly and Cassie rubs her back. Then Cole looks at her as she looks up at him and nods. He exhales and looks out at them. "Listen, uh, things aren't as cut and dry as we thought," Cole states as Zeke and Kuo exchanged looks.

Then Cassie pulls away, looking at Nix, who exhales and nods at her. Then she pulls away and stood next to him. "The Beast is a Conduit and not just any Conduit, someone we knew, we all knew." Cassie states and she looks up at Cole, he exhales and looks at them. "The Beast is John White," he states, Kuo and Zeke were shocked to learn of the Beast identity. "John is alive?" Kuo asks them, Cassie looks at her and nods. "Yeah, but listen, what he's doing isn't mass murder. He's using his powers like a Ray Sphere, activating potential Conduits, curing them of the plague." Cole informs them then looks at Cassie.

She looks at him and he nudges his head forward, she nods and looks at them, "When Cole and I were wandering around the city, the gift John gave us to see the plague, I saw that 5% of the population here in New Marais were potential Conduits and John wants to activate them all, but like the Ray Sphere, there will be a cost." she informs them. "But he's killing people that aren't lucky enough to be Conduits." Zeke reminds them, Cassie nods at him as Cole looks at him, "He asked us to help him, Zeke." Cole informs him, then Zeke stood up. "Help him?" he questions, Cassie nods at him. "Yeah, he did," she mutters and Nix stood up on her feet. "You pal just killed all my babies." she cries, Cassie steps over to her, gripping her arm. "I know," Cole said and Nix glares at him. "Then do something about it, Cole!" she snaps, pulling her arm away. "We will," Cassie promises her. "We are," Cole said as well.

Then Cassie pulls away, then picks up the RFI and turns to him, holding it out to him. He takes it and looks at her, "Bottoms up." she jokes, making him smile at her, then he steps away as they step to the sides. Cole then turns to them, exhaling. Then he charges the RFI, gasping in pain. Nix and Kuo gasp as they fell to their knee. Cassie was coughing as she was gripping her throat, the air left her lungs and she fell to her knees. Kuo cries out in pain, falling to her side and Cassie collapse onto her side, coughing for air.

Then Zeke ran towards Cole, who was writhing in pain, Zeke took Cole's amp and slams the RFI out of his hands. Cole falls to a knee, panting as the charging stops. The others gasped as air returns to their lungs. Cassie coughs as she props herself onto her elbow, panting for air. Nix pants as she was on hands and knees. Then Kuo coughs as she rolls onto her hands and knees. "My God. I was dying. I could feel it." she mutters as Cole stood up and helps Cassie up to her feet, "It felt horrible, I could feel my life, slipping away from me." she mutters and Cole looks at Zeke. "IT didn't even fire off. It wasn't even fully charged." Cole states as Cassie leans against him, trying to breath.

Then Nix stood to her feet. "What the hell did you do, Zeke?" she questions as she glares at him and he just shrugs his shoulders "What was I suppose to do?" he states and walks back to Cole, handing him the amp, Cole took it as Zeke places his hand on Cassie's shoulder. "I'm okay." she assures him and he walks over to the RFI, "Is it broken?" Cole asks him. "I don't know. Let me take a look," he states picking it up and walks over to the couch. "Wolfe, he knew this was going to happen." Kuo states as something clicks in Cassie's head, Cole glares at Kuo as he leans Cassie against the TV. "He was setting us up to die." he accuses, making at her.