sechzehn.

THAT NIGHT, you went home a little early, claiming that you remembered you have to do something important. the blond mermaid, who was still embarrassed when he caught you looking at him, awkwardly nodded and waved goodbye.

     you remember standing up and walking away briskly, a burning fire in your cheeks you left the beach. armin was still there, from what you could see in your peripheral vision, before heading towards the sea once he was sure that you had left.

     you buried yourself underneath pillows and blankets, cheeks still warm (either from the cold or just your embarrassment) and your heart thumping very fast against your ribcage. your mind was racing with thoughts about the mermaid, scenarios, and memories of you hanging out with him flashing in your mind like a broken dvd player.

     that light feeling in your stomach, the sudden quick thumping of your heart... those were the feelings you experienced when you were with armin before then. the time where you were still not aware of your growing feelings for the mermaid until it bloomed and knocked you out because of it. how ironic when those emotions and feelings you felt were the same as what you felt when you still liked reiner, and yet you had no idea.

     reiner...

     that would mean that your feelings toward your best friend were gone now, right? 

     you no longer had to worry if you still liked the blond (not that you still do) because somehow, the mermaid has captured your heart before you knew it.

     it's funny how your type somehow upgraded to a beautiful creature that no other people knew about but you.

     as you settled more comfortably on your bed, sheets engulfing you in warmth, you closed your eyes and prepared to fall into a deep slumber. your eyes were already heavy and the never-ending tiredness was slowly but surely rocking you to a deep slumber but before you could truly fall asleep, one thought crossed your mind.

     a question that caused your eyebrows to knit together and a frown replacing the dazzling smile you wore when you got home.

     before you could even think more about it, you passed out.

— ❂ —

     as you entered the campus, checking your bag for the books and papers you needed for your classes, you accidentally bumped into a passing college student. you stumbled backward but you luckily caught yourself, glaring at the person before realizing it was only your best friend with an apologetic smile. 

     "morning," reiner greeted, ruffling your hair before slinging an arm around your shoulders. you flashed back a smile and walked beside reiner, allowing him to lead you to who knows where as you grabbed your folder from your bag.

     "done with research?" the blond asked, peering over your head to stare at the notes you've written. you nodded and skimmed through the papers, making sure that it was complete so you could make your professor check any errors before you pass it. 

     once you were sure that you left no paper, you placed the papers back on your folder and looked up to see reiner leading you outside the campus. the sun was beginning to rise at east, mixing the dark blue of the sky with shades of gold. your blond friend led you to an empty bench, just near the fountain that stood in the middle of the grounds. the morning was quiet, save for the rushing water of the fountain in a lovely duet with the birds flying above.