[ 16 ]

- Noor's POV -

"Okay, but how did anyone manage to fall for someone like Nadira to this extent?" I ask with genuine shock.

"Nadira has her ways..." Lateef says it with an undertone that I can't quite catch. "Anyways, in high school, no one really knew but Yasir was the wealthiest. And Nadira was all over him almost all of high school, even afterwards."

"Because he was rich?" I ask to confirm.

"Well, yeah but you'd never guess that was the reason. She genuinely looked like she adored him." He continues. "I'm about to say this in the least offensive way as possible but Yasir was an average looking guy."

I thought he was pretty cute, I think to myself.

"There was no way someone like Nadira would do anything but befriend him. Every guy at school wanted her and it was odd that she chose the goofball, Yasir, you know?" He runs his hand through his hair. "I sound like a complete asshole right now."

"No, no. I get what you're trying to say. Nadira would want someone who shares the same glitz and glam that she thinks she has, which means a rich, jock-type."

"Exactly!" Lateef is relieved I understood.

Of course I understand. Nadira is literally that type of a person.

"So, when she slowly started to get with Yasir, everyone was a little suspicious but accepted it eventually. Women had given Yasir attention before but not like Nadira. Nadira was giving him special attention and poor guy fell head-over-heels for her and hasn't gotten up since." Lateef sighs.

"The thing is, she would slowly ask him for things. It would start off small... designer sunglasses or wallets, then purses, then it went on to clothes and shoes, then luxury vacations. And that's when it hit me... she's securing the bag. That's it." He shakes his head in disappointment. "And then, to confirm my thoughts further, something happened."

At this point, I'm eating my lunch as if I'm in a movie theatre eating popcorn while watching an intense part.

Lateef drops a surprising detail, "Shahid, who's Yasir cousin, becomes wealthier than Yasir."

I gasp. "Cousin? Shahid is Yasir's cousin? Are they first cousins?"

They did look slightly similar in terms of physical appearance... Nadira is a whole sociopath for this.

Lateef nods. "This was because Yasir's father went through a short period of time where the business wasn't doing well but Shahid's was doing really well. It was only a couple of months that Khan Enterprises wasn't doing that well, but Nadira switched up so fast."

"Oh my God... She married Shahid to secure the bag because she thought Yasir's finances weren't stable! What a leech." I'm not even shocked.

"She did the same exact thing with Shahid. She batted her eyelashes and talked all sweet, he proposed within months." He says.

"Wait, why didn't Yasir propose before? Like while he was rich." I ask.

"They said they'd marry after graduation..."