20 | never

"When are you planning to repair that stove?" Harvey Scott asked as he finished making William a bowl of noodles and placed it in front of him on the dining table.

"In case you haven't noticed, I don't have my money," William reminded the man.

Harvey tried to be good to him but even after all that, William couldn't help but hold a grudge against the man.

This man was the reason he was in this mess.

William devoured the noodles as fast as possible. He had only come to Harvey because he was hungry and he had finished all his money ordering food from outside for the last few days. His stove wasn't working and he didn't plan on repairing it anytime soon, not unless Harvey wished to give him money for that too.

He finished his dinner and stood up, ready to leave the room as early as possible.

"Where are you going?" Harvey asked, taking him by surprise.

"To that house opposite yours," he replied, pointing towards the front door.

"You appear distant, son."

"Don't call me that," William said with a low growl.

"Why? You are my son," Harvey said, calmly.

"Don't pretend to show me that fake love. I am not your son or son-in-law, not unless you are planning to give me Eliza's hand for marriage like right fucking now," he seethed.

Harvey didn't say anything as he watched William observantly.

"Trust me, son," he said after a moment. "I would have done anything to prevent these turn of events."

"I don't want to trust you. You killed my baby. My wife is gone. Her love and our marriage disappearing into thin air. My life is messed up and I don't want to talk to you anymore. I don't know what I am going to do next. I can't stay here nor can I go home...so don't you dare tell me I appear distant."

Harvey flinched and then rose from his seat. "At least wait a moment, let me get some money for you."

William went back to stare at the blank floor. He couldn't deny the money, not in times like this. Lorna had lent him her car for travelling to nearby places but without money, he felt so utterly futile. Harvey disappeared from William's view and was out of the hall when his phone, which was lying on the table, began to ring. He waited for Harvey to show up but then he saw the caller ID.

'Eliza'

William's heart leapt and he quickly received the call.

"Hello?" he answered.

No reply

He waited for some time thinking Eliza must have recognized that it was him and not her Papa. He wanted to give her time to adjust. However, the sound of loud music and shouting from the other end made him speak again.

"Eliza?"

"Help...me," she said in a weak and feeble voice and he had to strain his ear to hear her. His heart thumped loud at the sound of those words.

"Where are you?" he asked, frantically.

"Arabella...house."

"Wait for me." He quickly copied Eliza's number in his phone before rushing out of the house, not waiting for Harvey as the man rushed down the stairs calling out to him.

***

When William reached the Davidson house, he found it to be a huge villa richly designed. He could see the teenagers walking and running around like crazy six-year-olds through the clean glass doors.