X

The echo of my footsteps was deafening as I raced through the hallways of the First Order base, desperately trying to remember which way I had come.  I passed the sign that pointed to the hospital and picked up the pace, hoping that I wasn't already too late.

What did Anakin mean? Who else was here?

"Ellis?" I called breathlessly. "Ridley?"

I entered the hospital wing, the machinery casting unnerving shadows across the walls. Empty cots lay scattered like toys, the wing eerily quiet.

"Ellis!" I tried again. "Ridley!"

"What?" Ellis's voice behind me caused my heart to stop for a moment.

I turned to see him standing with Ridley and BB-8 in tow, watching me curiously. I strode forward and steered them in the direction of the doors.

"We need to leave. Now."

"Why?" Ridley asked, sounding disappointed.

"Where's Murph?" Ellis inquired at the same time.

"We got separated." I cast a glance over my shoulder. "I told her to find you guys."

"But she isn't here." Ellis wrenched himself from my grasp. "We aren't leaving without her."

"No, of course not. But I want to get Ridley back to the Falcon."

"I can take him." Ellis was eerily calm, holding his blaster to his chest. "Go find Murphy."

I nodded breathlessly. "BB-8, don't leave Ridley's side, understand?"

Beeps of agreement.

"What's happening?" I heard Ridley ask as I raced down a side hallway, Ellis's hushed explanation fading as I distanced myself from the pack.

The truth is, I didn't know what was happening. All I knew was that the feeling of dread was spreading through my limbs and core, threatening to drown me, and it was only a matter of time before I figured out why.

"Murph!" I called, my voice echoing off the metallic walls. "Murphy!"

Nothing. Everywhere I looked, the base was empty. A chilling draft surged through the hallway, and I stopped. 

A draft meant an opening. An exit. 

I turned a corner to see a large break in the hallway, snow flurries dancing around the gap.

I took a hesitant step out into the cold, wrapping my cloak tighter around me. The sky was still dark outside, with no hint of dawn in sight; I couldn't help but wonder how long we had been here, how much longer before the sun rose.

"Murphy!" I called again, my voice swept away by the frigid wind.  The only answer that came was an icy blast of wind that sent me stumbling backwards.

With a frustrated sigh, I turned to go back inside.

I was met by rough hands and a swift blow to the side of my head. Everything went black.

When I came to, I was back in the boarding docks. My vision was a bit blurry, pain blooming in my temple. The skin on the side of my face felt stiff, and I knew it was likely caked with blood. My hands and feet were bound by metal cuffs, my lightsaber missing from my belt.

"Rylie? Are you awake?" A voice next to me caused me to look up. It was Murphy, also bound, staring at me with frightened eyes. On her other side was Ellis, in the same condition as both of us.

My heart plummeted.

"Where's—"

Ellis shook his head frantically, cutting me off.

Ridley? I tried to ask.

Ellis gave a noncommittal shrug. I glanced around, but couldn't see my brother anywhere in sight. BB-8 was also missing, which gave me hope that they had made it back to the Falcon.

I shivered. The cold air from outside wrapped around us, unshielded from the snowy night's grasp.

"What are you doing here?" A warped voice made us jump.

A cloaked figure moved to stand in front of us. It wore a crude black and silver mask, obscuring its face and keeping its identity hidden. It looked down at my lightsaber in its hand. "And where did you get this?"

"We still haven't found the droid." A second figure appeared behind the first, donning a different black and silver mask. This one held a large gun in its arms, a gun I had never seen before. "But we will."

I glared at the two figures, hoping to come off as even remotely brave. The first one stared at me for a moment before unclipping a lightsaber from its belt, lighting it. Scarlet light illuminated its features.

It took a step towards me, extending the lightsaber. I quaked as the blade neared my skin, the red light blinding.

"Who sent you?" The figure crouched in front of me.

"No one," I managed to spit out.

It tilted its head slightly. "Are you sure you want to lie to me?"

I gritted my jaw. "I'm not lying. We came here of our own accord."

"Why?"

"Why does it matter?"

"You're trespassing." The second figure spoke now.

"Who else came here with you?" The first figure looked across the three of us. "We know there's a droid."

"No one. It's just us." I fought to control my heart pounding within my chest.

"I think you're lying." A third figure appeared, its own mask reflecting the red glint of the first's saber.

The second figure was staring at me. "Where have I seen you before?"

I shook my head. "I'm sure I'd remember if we'd met. Handsome guy like you."

Murphy snorted.

The second figure stared at me through its expressionless mask for a long time, causing the hairs on my arms to raise. I stared back as evenly as I could, trying to hide my fear.

"Let us go," Murphy tried. "We won't come back."

The figure turned on her, and she shrunk back as her courage failed.

A commotion from the entrance caused us all to turn. Three more cloaked figures in similar masks were approaching.

I felt as though I might be sick.

One of them held a long rope attached to a net, in which I could just make out the shape of BB-8.  The others restrained a thrashing figure who fought them every step of the way. 

It was Ridley.