Chapter 24 - What's that supposed to mean?

Chapter 24 – What's that supposed to mean?

Lucy's POV

By the time Saturday finally rolls around, I'm extremely grateful for the weekend. The entire of my week has been full of school, training and patrols, so it's safe to say I'm tired... and in desperate need of a break.

"Where are you going?" Amy asks as I head for the front door, dressed in my usual checked shirt, jeans and converse.

"Off for a run," I reply, although it's not quite the truth.

"Oh, okay, how long you going to be?" she then asks.

"Not sure," I reply with a shrug. "A few hours maybe?"

"Have fun," Jess pipes up from the other side of the room, where she currently sits watching the TV.

When I got home from the meeting on Monday, I went straight to the sisters and told them about what had gone down. Jess got me to re-promise that I would keep my mouth shut, whilst Amy tried to convince her to go and find this Devlin guy to warn him. As expected, the entire conversation led to yet another argument. Ever since then, we've all stayed warily off the subject, and so I'm still not exactly sure what's going on with that entire situation.

"I'll see you both later," I call out to them just before I close the front door behind me and start walking, one certain destination in mind.

I haven't been to the lake cabin since I went with Justin on Sunday, and I've been dying to go back ever since. It's so quiet and peaceful... the perfect place to go after having such a hectic and demanding week.

It only takes me half an hour to reach the lake today, but when I get there I immediately stop dead in my tracks.

"...Justin?" I call out in confusion, watching him as he sits there on the rocks, seemingly lost in thought.

At the sound of my voice, however, he looks up at me, apparently just as surprised at seeing me here as I am him.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" he asks as I make my way over to sit next to him. 

"Just wanted to get away for a while, I guess," I reply with a shrug. "You?"

"Same," he admits with a half-smile.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, picking upon the fact that he seems a lot more down than usual.

"Yeah," he replies, but I don't believe him for a second. His eyes aren't carrying the bright spark that they usually do.

"Seriously," I push, nudging him lightly with my shoulder. "What's wrong?"

He's silent for a few seconds before replying.

"It's mainly just my dad," he admits with a small shrug, looking out at the lake.

"David?" I question, not expecting that kind of answer at all.

"Yeah," he confirms. "He's being... overly demanding, even more so than usual. It's really starting to piss me off."

"How do you mean?"

"Just with this whole rogue situation," he sighs. "I'm expected to keep on top of it, along with running our training sessions, patrols and keeping up the grades at school. I mean, I know I'm supposed to be in training for becoming the future Alpha and everything, but sometimes I wish I could just be a normal eighteen year old for once."

"I know exactly what you mean," I admit, removing my shoes and socks before dipping my feet into the water.

When I was younger, all I wanted was to be accepted, to be seen as normal and not just some weakling that couldn't look after herself. As I got older, though, I decided to not let it get to me so much. After all, I couldn't actually do anything about it, so I just learnt to accept it.