56 A Letter

My Veil closed down the road. Anyone leaving has to be checked.

Brydan and I step out of the car we picked up from the airport, and one of my higher-ranking Veil, Rollo, is there before us, ready to fill us in on everything they've learned. I can't help but feel like I'm arriving to a funeral. Before the plane landed, both of us changed into black suits, knowing we'd need to step fully into the roles of the Preeminence and his closest friend. The Veil wear black and grey uniforms, the Society's insignia on their shoulders appearing as if it shines even in the dreary lighting. A thin veil of fog cover hovers around and through us, the sky overhead completely covered by clouds. The black vehicles don't help.

Rollo bows. "Preeminence, Mr. Salvatore."

"Is there any progress since we last spoke?"

"A body has not been found. There is no sign of either of them. We've been checking the woods and another group is headed back to the town." He holds up his hand, and a female Veil comes forward, a metal box in her hands. "This is the box we retrieved from the car." When I called him after landing, he told me about a box they found and that an envelope was its only contents. I asked him not to open the envelope.

"And the envelope?"

"Intact," he replies.

The woman opens the box and hands me the envelope. Not one bit of it shows signs of water damage. I unseal it, not knowing what I'll find in the contents of the letter, and I'm terrified to find out the answer.

Well, Jonas, I see you found my car. I applaud you. Really, I do. I know what you were trying to do with Iris—dazzle her so that she'd want to stay, and in return I, like an obedient dog, would never leave you. So, you left me no choice. I'm sorry it had to come to this.

Iris is dead—at least she will be when you read this. It's going to be hard to do, but I've done it before. Think on that if you have trouble believing me.

Yes, I wanted to show her Mark to the world. Rub it in your faces. But I decided that most importantly I want to be left alone. I know there are only two ways to get rid of me as your Tresais. Either my mental stability is proven unfit or I betray you irrevocably. I think I've fulfilled both of those for you. You're welcome.

Sincerely, your loving cousin,

Erik

The note trembles in my hands. He's lying. He has to be. But Molly. If her death wasn't an accident, then he's done this before—killed someone we thought he cared for.

"Preeminence," Rollo says, "a bus is wanting to be let through."

I tear my eyes from the letter. A white bus with a red stripe is parked at the barrier. The door is folded to the side and one of my Veil stands in front of it, talking to the bus driver.

"Should we let it through?"

"Yes but search it first." I turn back to the letter.

"Perhaps I should search it." Brydan steps forward. "Checking a car is one thing, but a bus is another. How would it look if the Society's Veil search an entire bus? It would bring many more questions than those that will already be asked."

I don't look up. "Go then." Erik has to be lying. He has to . . . She was too important to him—her Mark was too important. We all know what he went through when Molly died. Why would he put himself through that again solely to be rid of us? It doesn't add up.

Even if a part of me is convinced Erik is telling the truth, I'm going to do all I can to hold onto the part that denies it. If he did kill her, he's not getting away with it.

Erik will head for his safe houses. That's almost certain.

The sky is darkening. There's supposed to be a storm tonight, and being at the sight of one crash, I don't particularly feel up to ordering a plane to take off during a storm, not when I'm Expired.

Brydan returns. He eyes the letter.

"Anything?" I ask.

"No."

I fill him in on the letter, and then our plans for what we do next. "We're going to the old Estate." I have to get Erik's map to his old safe houses.

"Have you already called for a plane?"

"I want to outrun this weather. We'll drive today and fly tomorrow. I'll have Riley and Eli fly out with keys."

"We are stopping somewhere to sleep tonight?"

I don't respond.

"Preeminence."

"Yes, fine."

"And for food."

I look down at the letter.

"You do have to eat."

I nod once and head for the car.