Chapter 8

--Jack's POV--

I walked unsteadily to Sally's house, and I walked up to the front door.

"If that Skellington boy comes here again..." I heard Dr. Finklestein saying.

I stepped back from the door and ran over to the back of the house. Sally was smart to install a ladder. I climbed up the ladder and jumped on the balcony outside her room. I saw her sewing something, and then my heart pounded when I realized she was sewing her leg back on.

Something told me that...

I knocked on the window.

She jumped and turned around, then smiled and quickly finished sewing up her leg, then opened the window for me.

"Hi, Jack," she said.

"Hey," I sighed. "Do you have any medicine in your room?"

"Still sick, huh?" she asked.

I nodded.

"Well, I'll check and see what you got, and then I'll give you medicine, okay?" she said. "C'mon in."

I stepped into her room and stood.

"Sit down, Jack," she said, pointing at her bed.

"I don't wanna get you sick," I protested.

"I have spray for a reason," she said. "Sit."

"What am I?" I joked as I sat down. "A dog?"

"Sure," she said.

I laughed.

She checked my fever.

"Sheesh, how long have you had a fever?" she asked.

"It's on and off," I said.

"Oh," she replied. "Okay. Tell me what your symptoms are."

"Coughing, body aching, fever, chills, vomiting," I said. "Oh, and the occasional dizzy spell."

"Oof," she said. "Sounds like the flu to me. Hold on."

She went to her cabinet and opened a drawer, shuffling through the supplies inside it.

"Bingo!" she said.

She pulled out a jar, and I looked at the title. It merely said "Flu".

"So, this tastes horrible, and it will make you a bit drowsy," she said. "I added a little bit of Deadly Nightshade into it but not enough to completely poison you. And then there's some Worms Wart and Frog's Breath in it, along with several other things. But I've used this on myself and Finklestein before, and it's worked. But like I said, it tastes horrible."

"Is there anything I can do to make it not taste horrible?" I demanded.

"Just take it and quickly wash it down with water," she said. "One spoonful in the morning, one spoonful at night."

"Okay," I said. "Should I take the nighttime one before going to the human world, or--?"

"Ummm.... not before, but you can take it while you're there," Sally replied.

"Okay," I said. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," she replied.

I was about to leave when she stopped me.

"Jack, you seem a bit...off," she said. "I mean, I know you're sick, but that's not why you seem off."

"I know," I sighed.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

I shuddered. "No."

"What's wrong?"