124 Xiang Feng, The Scarred King (2)

On the day of her death, Xiang Feng massacred everyone inside the castle.

Those who attended the coronation, not a single one was left alive. Everything was splattered with blood, from the walls to the floor, from north to south, east to west. Every furniture was smashed to dust, every object that could be broken was broken, anything that could be spilled was spilled.

Destruction and chaos.

That was what Xiang Feng had done after she died.

The first year after she died, Xiang Feng locked himself inside the tower. The Keep was the only thing that he had not destroyed. He transferred a large mass of soil there, broke the roof, and planted a garden of red roses. He buried her body there, among the smell of flowers. He talked to the flowers as if he was talking to her.

No one dared to go inside the castle. Everyone said that a mad spirit lived there, and anyone who entered was slaughtered.

The fourth year after she died, a young woman entered the castle, as she wanted to pick a rose. The roses there bloomed beautifully, with large petals and almost thornless stems. She wanted to give it as a birthday gift to her father. She had successfully plucked one only to be caught by Xiang Feng. His eyes were scarlet, and when she held up the rose, it was as if he had seen his lover. His eyes turned gentle and he lightly kissed the rose.

That day, the young woman's life was spared by Xiang Feng, but her heart was caught.

The seventh year after she died, Xiang Feng reconstructed the castle. He hired officials, changed the reforms to be identical to those of the south, and abolished the religion in the kingdom. He crowned himself as King and since he worshipped the Golden Princess, everybody should worship her.

Anyone that resisted this new religion would be banned as a heretic, and be put to death.

Xiang Feng married his queen in a grand celebration. It was the young woman who sneaked into the castle three years prior. The two of them retired to their chambers, and began the last ritual to complete the ceremony.

Afterwards, when the queen lay peacefully sleeping in his arms, Xiang Feng got out of the bed to take a bath.

There was a newly-built hot spring inside the castle, and this was located not far from the royal bedchamber. Xiang Feng sank into it and sat down, and for a long while, his whole body stood frozen, his eyes blank, seemingly staring at nothing. It wasn't until dawn arrived, making tendrils of sunlight creep up on the surface of the water, that his pitch-black eyes finally stirred.

He looked at the figure of the girl not far away from him, her eyes blue like the sky, her hair as golden as the sun. She stood there, shimmering, as if she was made of air.

"Jia...." the young king called out her name hoarsely.

However, the girl only continued to smile, and did not respond.

"Jia, come to me...."

He reached a hand out, wanting her to come and take it. As much as he wanted to drag her into his arms, he knew, from the countless times that he saw her and failed, the moment his skin touched hers, she would disappear. Maybe if she came to him on her own volition, she would materialize into bone and flesh, and he would be able to touch her again.

"Jia...."

But the girl did not move, and only continued to stare at him. Xiang Feng gradually lowered his arm, and his expression sank into sadness, his lips curving down into a depressed frown.