Locked or unlock

Frankie

I hadn't been to school in almost a week. I came down with a flu during the night and couldn't go see Imogen. I really wanted to get her cake and celebrate with her. I would have been able to recover rather quickly, but my father had so many interviews.

My father was currently running for governor; he isn't winning, which is where the interviews come in. His agents are trying to go with the family angle, but my father would rather drink and gamble than be with us. In interviews, we look like the perfect fantasy. Meanwhile, my father is threatening to beat the shit out of my brother.

Imogen was my safe place; she made all my home problems almost nonexistent. I'm excited to give Imogen the little gift I got her. I bought her a little friendship charm to add to our matching bracelet. I also wondered if she looked at her wrist. Knowing Imogen, she probably kept her promise. I really hope she kept her promise. My birthday passed a few months, and I never had the urge to find out the name.

I don't think it matters who my soulmate is. I should be with whom I want to be with. I want to be able to fall in love with someone because it happened out of nowhere, not because the stupid government said so. Hopefully, Imogen has done the same. I was happy to hear that there are no more interviews for a while.

I brushed my curly, light brown hair, using some mousse to loosen the curls. I managed to get my hair into a high ponytail with some curls sticking out towards the front. I put some light makeup on along with my lucky pink gloss.

I looked into my humongous closet filled with rows of clothing. I have my clothes color-coded along with my shoes and anything else. I went to the pink area which had the most rows and selected the pink frizzy sweater. I grabbed one of my pairs of black jeans with knee-high boots.

My mother was up bright and early fixing breakfast for my father who had meetings all day today. The smell of the brewing coffee wafted through my room. I grabbed my bag from its stand and walked down my granite stairs. My butler was waiting by the end of the stairs with a tray, holding a cup of coffee and bread. I chugged my mug of coffee and warmed my body up, feeling the burn rushing up to my cheeks.

"Bye, mom!" I said, slamming the door behind me.

-------

I made my way into the crowd hallways looking for my locker. I saw the back of my familiar best friend and started running towards her. As I got behind her, I placed my arms on her shoulder roughly causing her to flinch.

"Imi how are you?!" I said almost squealing, engulfing her into a tight hug.

She tapped my arm that was wrapped around her chest instead of hugging me back. Something must be wrong...

"I'm not good..." I met her worried gaze. " I need you, Franks," she said resting her head on my shoulder.

"Why? What's wrong?" I asked, rubbing her shoulders.

"You're going to get upset!" Her expression exposed the guilt she was hiding.

I punched my combination in, "Ugh no," I raised my eyebrow, "Don't tell me you looked."

"I'm sorry Frankie but it was an accident! I swear," she pleaded.

I closed my locker gently, fighting the urge to slam it. I didn't want to cause a scene just because it hurt my feelings. "Did our six-year pack mean nothing to you?" I whispered to her but made sure my anger showed.

"Frankie don't be mad at me," she pleaded, giving me her signature puppy dog face.

"I'll talk to you later, okay," I assured her.