13 | In Memoriam

GIANITA

Today was the second annual memorial service for the late Emperor Callisto, where the nobility and government would assemble in the imperial family tomb in black to pay their respects to their late sovereign.

Despite the mixed perceptions about the afterlife among Angletonians, they put an emphasis on venerating their deceased; particularly the upper-class. Even if there was no life after death, the homage they paid to their memories would immortalize them in the world of the living. The more people renowned and preserved your memory, the more imperishable you were. On the opposite side, the complete obliteration of one's memory would make one cease to exist; the worst thing that could happen to a person, according to Angletonians.

The memorial would commonly be led by the firstborn male of the deceased's family, as his next of kin would also do so for him in the future; in the case of a deceased monarch, it should be carried by their successor.

Assembling in the late Emperor's tomb, the imperial family and their guests lit candles and sang a series of hymns. There was also the watering and nurturing of the memorial tree which was planted the day of his funeral. Aside from becoming a living tribute for a loved one, the tree would also serve for the benefit of future generations, making it the most fitting memorial of all.

There was also the release of a dove at the end of the procession. A symbolic way of letting go. It added a poignant sense of hope and beauty to the service.

 It added a poignant sense of hope and beauty to the service

CALLISTO EMILIAN LEROY
1869 - 1931

The late Emperor Callisto had every defining trait of the Leroy family, being pale and dark-haired; though his facial features didn't look much like his son and grandson—aside from his defined cheekbones—his eyes were a cold, stormy grey. He had the stern expression of someone you wouldn't want to cross.

Even though he did not conquer any lands during his reign, he was the one behind the massive growth of Angletonia's modern military.

Once the ceremony was over, Gigi split off by herself to find the royal tomb's caretaker. She had secretly written to him the day before that she would like to be given a tour around the tomb. It was time to investigate the death of a woman who might be the key to all the mystery.

But as she was being shown dozens of tombs belonging to the deceased Leroy family members, she could not find the one she'd been looking for.

"I am sorry, Mr Mason, but are there any other tombs around here? One that belongs to a recently deceased imperial family member and perhaps was buried separately?" she inquired.

One who had died in childbirth, she thought to herself.

The caretaker narrowed his eyes, trying to think. "I'm afraid not, Your Majesty. I have been overseeing these tombs for the last fifteen years. These are all we have," he said regretfully. "I beg your pardon, Ma'am, but whose tomb are you looking for, if I may ask?"