FOUR

|NARUHITO'S ENTHRONEMENT|

Tuesday, 22 October 2019.

|People Magazine|

Japan Celebrates Emperor Naruhito's Enthronement with the Ultimate Royal Guest List!

Japan's Emperor Naruhito formally ascended to the Chrysanthemum Throne on Tuesday in a ceremony evoking centuries of tradition dating back 2,000 years.

Although the new Emperor, 59, already assumed his role following the abdication of his father, former Emperor Akihito, on May 1, the importance of the Sokui no Rei (Ceremony of Accession) is such that royalty including Andorra's Queen Katalina and King Felix, Britain's Prince Charles, Spain's King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Monaco's Prince Albert will be among the world leaders and dignitaries representing over 170 nations in attendance.

Akihito, 85, officially announced his plan to step down due to health reasons in December 2017, marking the country's first abdication in 200 years.

Occurring in the Imperial Palace's most exclusive space, Tuesday's ceremony employed two of the nation's sacred treasures and involves several stages.

Around 2,000 guests witnessed a large courtyard procession of swordsmen, archers, drum and gong players and flag displays before curtains were thrown back on the takamikura and Naruhito began to speak.

With his wife, Empress Masako, seated on an adjacent pavilion (the michodai) proclaimed his accession to the throne and offered a personal pledge to the nation. Following the brief 30-minute ceremony, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe addressed the attendees, congratulating the Emperor before leading the assembly in three "banzai" cheers.

An afternoon garden party hosted by the royal pair and four palace banquets are included within the ceremonies schedule.

——🖤——

Thursday, 24 October 2019

Queen Katalina makes a visit to Encampadana Prison and Detention Facility in Encamp, a women's prison. She met with staff and inmates and received a tour of the newly-updated visiting rooms. She also toured the local hair salon, SuperKut, where inmates receive training from a cosmetology school so they can be set up for success following their release.

——🖤——

Saturday, 26 October 2019