XV | The Calm of Thunder

Evan felt his body adrift. The sun gazed upon him, and its head seeped into the deepest parts of his body. He bobbed up and down and rocked side to side. In the distance, he thought he could hear the rolling of thunder, but it was unlike any thunder he'd ever heard. Salt filled his nose—the likes of which he'd never smelled so intensely.

"Evan," a voice trailed in the recesses of his mind. It sounded like Tahlia's, and he felt his heart warm at the thought. It spoke again, but it wasn't Tahlia's this time. "Secondwing Montresser."

Evan tightened his eyes, wishing it to be Tahlia instead.

"Sir!"

He felt a nudge on his side, and he awoke to the hold. Evan startled and looked around. Tahlia was fast asleep on his breast, and he was in her bed. He darted his head toward the origin of the disturbance. Corporal Manns stood over him with furrowed brow.

"Uh... sir... it's my watch."

Evan shot up, jostling Tahlia awake.

"What's going..." she trailed, rubbing her eyes. Her hand slipped from under his shirt.

"Corporal!" Evan said. His heart raced, and he searched his mind for any explanation he could give that would keep the corporal from reporting this to Vausse.

"I saw nothing, sir?" Corporal Manns asked.

Evan blinked as the two looked at each other with clear discomfort. "...Right, Corporal."

"Sir, Commandwing Vausse was asking for you on the main deck."

Evan tossed his legs over the edge of the bunk and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. His cuirass rested against the wall opposite him and Tahlia. He grabbed it, hoisted it over his head, and let it slide onto his shoulders before fastening the straps on either side. "I'll go there now. Thanks, Corporal."

Evan grimaced as he rose through the decks. The hammering of water grew louder the closer he came to the main deck. He reached behind his head to don his hood, but when he grasped at air, he remembered they'd used it to bind Claire's wounds. He pressed his hand to the hatch that kept the raging storm outside at bay. The wood was soaked through, and its cold seeped into the leather of his gloves.

The hatch was the only place water would be allowed to seep through as the rest of the ship was lined with steel platting between the wood planks. With a sigh he pushed open the hatch and walked into the downpour.

The sky was grey and fraught with lightning. Evan's eyes grew wide as he watched the kirin race alongside the ship. Sparks of electricity streaked through their silver manes and tails. Every once in a while, one would rear onto its hind legs and lightning would strike the horn atop its head. As it slammed its hooves back down, thunder would echo through the clouds.

Evan pushed his hair back to keep it from obscuring his vision. The water was frigid on his skin, but he paid it no attention. He'd only known the tales his father used to tell Claire and him about these blue and silver beasts.

"Evan!" his sister called.

Evan turned his head to the upper deck. Claire waived for him to meet her and Vausse up there.

"What is it, Fullwing?"

"Are you ready to fly?" A coy smile grew across Claire's lips.

Evan's eyes widened and his heart quickened. Any chill the rain brought was replaced by the fires of excitement. "Is that why you called me up here, sir?" He looked to Commandwing Vausse.

"It is. What better creatures to teach a young Leaf the ways of the sky than the kirin?"

Evan felt as though he could leap off the ship and fly with the kirin now—such was the thrill that raved through his body as his sister handed him the helm. He looked as the kirin branched out on either side, falling away from the ship in a V formation with The Valkyrie at the tip.