ONE and ONLY? Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I stood behind her as she got ready to play. Angel was always very musically talented, and I loved to listen to her play. She started a beautiful melody with her fingers dancing across the keys gracefully. Then she started to sing, her beautiful voice filled the room and was in perfect harmony with the piano.

"It was a beautiful day,

The perfect day

It was the best day of my life

Then the next morning you left me heartbroken

Alone in the cold world

Where are you my best friend

I'm missing you

No words can describe what I'm feeling

I need you by my side

Days passed and years gone

I still can't forget you

Will you ever come back

I'm so afraid."

I realized she composed this song for me. I wrapped my arms around her waist from behind and rested my head on her shoulder, drinking in her flowery smell. When she finished she turned around and I saw that she was crying. I raised my hand to cup her cheek and wiped the tears away.

"Don't cry, Angel, please don't, I'm right here, I won't ever leave you again." I said gently. She wrapped her arms around me, crying silently. I smoothed out her hair and murmured reassuringly in her ear. She pulled back and dried her tears. Staring intently into my eyes, she asked in a quiet voice, almost frightened, "Eric, do you... do you... um..." She hesitated, I squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Do you... remember... our promise?"

I was shocked speechless, I didn't think she'd still remember. Snapping out of my trance, I answered shakily, "Yes, I do remember, the day before I left." I felt relieved that she still remembered, but looking at her brightened eyes I started feeling anxious and guilty when my mind flashed back to what I've been doing the past couple years. Thinking of how much I've betrayed Angel I felt like I was the most selfish person in the whole world. I had to tell her now before she finds out by her self. I opened my mouth, trying to tell her, but it wouldn't come out, the words I've always wanted to tell her every time I see her just wouldn't form.

Noticing my hesitation, the spark that was in Angel's eyes just a few minutes ago quickly faded away. In its place was a blank, guarded expression. A screen of moisture covered her eyes and was threatening to spill over the edge. I quickly reached out my hand, knowing she'd misunderstood. "Angel, I didn't forget, really, please trust me, I know the promise by heart, I thought of you everyday, please trust me Angel." I pleaded with her. Her guarded expression slowly faded away and she smiled at me and said, "I trust you Eric" My heart swelled upon hearing those words, but I could tell there was still something bothering her.

I opened my mouth to say something, anything to cheer her up, but before I could get a word out, her mom yelled from downstairs, "Angelica, Eric, dinner's ready, come down, Eric's parents are here!" We quickly stood up and went downstairs. There, standing in the dining room were my parents, looking as in love with each other as ever, and beside them, tugging on my mom's skirt, was my little brother, Luke.

My mom raised her eyes and saw Angel, she stopped in the middle of a sentence and charged towards Angel, enveloping her in a big hug. Angel smiled and hugged her back. "Hi Mrs. Wilson" Mom pulled back and examined her, "my, you've turned out to be quite a beauty Angelica. " She smiled and looked over at Luke, "Come here dear, this is the pretty lady you've been so eager to meet, your future sister in law." She turned and winked at me. I felt myself blush, and smirked trying to cover it up, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Angel looking confused with reddened cheeks.

I watched as Luke ran over to Angel and hugged her legs tightly, since he was only tall enough to reach her thighs. Angel smiled down at Luck and bent down to pick him up. "Oh, you're a heavy one, little Luke," She turned to my mom and asked, still confused, "Who is this?"

"Oh, right, I almost forgot, he's Eric's brother, Luke Wilson. He was born in England while we were away." She turned to Luke, "tell the pretty lady how old you are Luke." Luke turned around in Angel's arms to face her, "I just turned four today Angelica, my brother told me today is tour birthday too, so happy birthday!" He said excitedly. Angel laughed and said "thank you Luke, happy birthday to you too!" Smiling, she put him down and he ran away to explore the house.

My dad walked over and hugged Angel in a big bear hug. "Happy birthday dear, you've grown into a charming lady." A faint blush rose up on her cheeks and she smiled while replying, "Thank you Mr. Wilson."

Angel's mom came in the living room smiling, clapping her hands together, she announced, "well, this is a nice reunion, and the celebration of two birthdays. Well now, dinner's served, let's go eat!"