Chapter 37 - Red-Handed

Eclipse Of The Moon ~ Book 1 of Aaron
Chapter 37
Red-Handed

Wednesday 1 October 2003

Mug of relaxing herb tea emptied – check.

Getting settled cross-legged in the comfortable armchair of the library – check.

Stress ball in my right hand – check.

Phone fully charged – check.

One of the latest pictures of Cam that I own resting where my calves cross – check.

Positive attitude, fond memories – check.

I'm ready. I know I can do this.

As I press the 4-key on my phone, my heartbeat increases a bit, but I take deep breaths while I wait for my friend to pick up the call, looking at the old photograph. That skinny bear of Camden never liked being shot but I'm glad I have this one of him. Josh took it two years ago, trying a brand-new numeric camera his father had bought for him.

We were in the woods, just about to go swimming in the Cooper River Lake, and Cam didn't like being photographed while only wearing his briefs because of his skinny chest and legs. On the picture, his anger is clearly obvious, his body tense and his eyes just as dark as Ivan's can get, but all I can see is the lamb I know he can be at times.

"Hey, Aaron!" Cam cheers when he finally answers.

"Happy birthday, old boy!!!"

"Yeah, I'll tell you the same in ten days, dumbass... but thank you all the same! Now I can say I'm the only adult in our group of friends," he replies in a smug tone.

"Enjoy while you can... As you said, I'll be joining you in adulthood in ten days. So, tell me! How does it feel?"

"Honestly? I don't really see a difference. It's not like I ever lacked autonomy before, you know?" he replies, and sadly, yes, I know. I know he would have preferred more caring parents. "Besides, I'm still not allowed to legally buy alcohol or cigarettes, so that's not much of an improvement."

"When are you going to stop smoking, Cam?" I sigh, scowling at the picture resting on my calves.

"Now don't you try and teach me lessons, you jerk! You're the one who offered me my first cigarette," he accuses playfully, but guilt wakes up in me.

"Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Probably one of my biggest mistakes," I grumble. "But I managed to quit, so you should try?"

"We'll see about that. I don't smoke that much anyway. How are you doing? How's it going with the sexy guardian? No new attempt to jump into his pants?" he chuckles.

Having resolved to be fully honest with my best friends, they obviously know everything that happens here, and that includes my little mishap at the nightclub back in August and all the things that followed – well almost. I skipped the spanking part, right... They don't need to know about the most embarrassing moments, and that was far worse than getting caught blowing a guy or getting rejected by the man I flirted with.

"Will you ever stop with that, Cam?" I grunt. "Nothing has changed between Ivan and me, and you know I've moved on to someone else."

My friends had a good laugh when I told them about the first part at the nightclub, but they felt sort of sorry for me regarding my attempt at kissing Ivan. To be honest, even if Ivan's rejection stung a bit, it was mostly a spontaneous act triggered by my unruly hormones, and I quickly got over it. I'm glad it didn't leave any awkwardness between us, though; things are just as they used to be, and since then, I have been focusing on a new prey in the person of Marek, my tutor.