Before We Begin...

I have to say that I'm not quite sure what I'm getting myself into. Since the Open Novella Contest 2020 was announced, I've gone back and forth several times about whether to participate or not. I found two prompts I like, one of which fits a story I've been wanting to write, another that would be a story I might write another day. 

As I'm writing this on February 27th, I've finally made the decision to throw my hat into the ring with a zombie story. I've explored this story within the last month as a short story to see if the beginning would work as my mind had hoped it would. It turned out ok so I figured it was time to actually let the story loose and try to write a 20,000 word novella in three months. 

Although I've decided to enter, I still don't know whether I'll be able to finish it or not. I've entered it with the hopes that yes, it will, but it's also a bit of an experiment so we'll see where it goes. Writing about zombies is way outside of what I usually write, so it may be a total flop, or it may be a runaway success. We'll have to wait and see.

Either way, I'm in it now!

The prompt I picked is #41. It goes as follows:

"That's right son. Zombies used to be a thing."

Now, are you ready to begin the journey to Hive Island?

Update (May 21, 2020): Hive Island has made the ONC Longlist!