Chapter Fourteen

She froze at the tone in my voice, eyes wide with surprise. I pulled open the door and made my way down the hallway. When Angie and I went upstairs, Lucy was consoling Sage.

I stepped down onto the main floor and caught a glimpse of Lucy bending over Sage, pulling a throw blanket up to her chin. She appeared to be sleeping.

Lucy must have heard us coming because she turned quickly, placed a finger to her lips and shushed us.

“She’s worn out, poor thing. I’m going to get some more tea.” She straightened with a small smile and crossed our path on the way to the kitchen. I watched her warily and stepped down into the living room.

Angie made for the door but slowed down as she passed the living room couch. I watched in dread as she crept closer to Sage and pulled back the blanket. Angie gasped, biting back a shriek when she saw the fang marks on Sage’s neck.

“Angie, get out of here!” I hissed and ducked down the hall. If Lucy was in the kitchen I would surprise her by coming in the other way, giving Angie time to escape. I snuck as quickly as I could and crouched down to peek around the corner. I was greeted by a swift kick in the face.

Down I went, flying backward into the entryway of the library. Note to self: Do not crouch when peeking into a room to spy on a half-blood assassin. Oh yeah, and getting kicked in the face by a person wearing pink bunny slippers hurts more than you’d think.

Lucy stood in the kitchen doorway leaning against the jam.

“I really should thank you, Colby, for all those little bull sessions getting to know each other in the recreation room.” She advanced toward me.

“How else would I know the full extent of everyone’s abilities? You’re just too helpful.” She emphasized her last statement with another kick. This time to my stomach.

“Ooof!” I grunted, scrambling back into the library to give myself room to get up. I tried to do a quick roll from my back to my feet but the pain in my gut made the move difficult. I ended up turning on my side and crawling to my knees to stand.

She seemed in no hurry and not the least bit tired, which was more annoying than anything. She just wanted to chat while kicking my ass.

“So you’re the spy,” I spat out, stating the obvious. Can I come up with the snappy one-liners in a crisis or what?

Her voice tinkled like a musical bell when she laughed. How could evil sound so darn cute? “There is no spy, you idiot. There never was any full-blood vampire conspiracy to end the existence of half-bloods.” She smirked at the thought and I got a good look at crazy. Yep, she was sooo not sane.

“Then why kill Tina?”

“Tina? That little snoop was reading my e-mail! I wasn’t going to let her ruin everything I’d worked so hard to accomplish.”

“Then why send your goons after us in the park?” I asked, backing up slowly to the hidden door.

“My goons? Are you kidding? Those were actually a couple of vampires who were looking for a legitimate meal. They figured out what you were by your scent.”

I knew it!! We did smell different.

“And Colby.” I stopped at the tone in her voice. “Do you really think I don’t remember where the hidden staircase is?” She tipped her head to one side and gave me a pitying look. Well, duh, for a second I felt pretty stupid. Of course she knew what I was trying to do.

I gave her a self-deprecating smile and launched myself straight at her, catching her off guard. If anyone asked, I meant to fool her with the door thing and attack her. You know, if anyone asked.