Chapter Fifteen

I slumped onto my bed in defeat. Bucky wanted to take Nat and I out to dinner and I had no idea how to prepare. All my life I've worn basically the same clothes. I'm not very familiar with all the fashion trends of the 21st century.

"That's it," I said, "I'm just not going to go."

A sudden knock on the door broke me from my thoughts. I still don't trust everyone in the Avengers tower, so I take precaution.

"Who is it?" I say with caution. "It's Pepper, can I come in?" Comes a cheery voice. She sounded friendly, so I told her she can do so.

She came into the room and noticed I was still in my training clothes. "Now what's this? I thought you were going out to dinner."

I looked down at my outfit and back to her. "Yea, I was." I deadpanned.

"From what I'm hearing it's still on. And you can't go like this." She said gesturing to my outfit.

"Well I'm sorry but I've never actually had a life in the outside world like you guys have, so I don't know how to dress." I say a little annoyed.

Pepper looked a little taken aback, but she seemed to bounce back. I mean, Tony Stark is her boyfriend. She has to be used to snarky remarks.

"That's why I'm here," She said sweetly, "I figured you might have a little trouble, so I came to help. Don't worry about a thing, I've got you covered."

I raised my eyebrow at her generosity, but I decided not to question her. Instead I gave her a very subtle smile.

"Now, let's see what you have." She said as she walked into my closet. After looking through all my clothes, she was not satisfied.

"Stay here for a second."

Then again I was left in my room to my own thoughts. I walked over to my window and looked at the view I had of New York. It was a beautiful place, yes, but it wasn't what I was used to.

Waking up every morning to the never ending commands and insults of H.Y.D.R.A is my familiarity. With all the harsh winters and crowding of people in a little base.

H.Y.D.R.A was my home. It was the only thing I knew. They raised me and made me into the person I am today. But I will never be able to fully escape the horrors of that place.

Even in the safety of this tower, H.Y.D.R.A still scares me. I was a valuable asset to their team, I knew too much. Any member of H.Y.D.R.A who escapes is killed, so what is stopping them from finding me and killing me where I stand? Even with the protection of the Avengers, am I really safe?

"Here," Pepper said, making me jump the sudden voice, "I was going to save this for some other time, but I think now would be more appropriate."

She then handed me a big box. I gave her a questioning look. "What is it?" I ask. "Open it and see for yourself, sweetheart." She replied.

I open the box to see a beautiful blue-green short sleeve dress. The collar has a little 'V' shaped design into it and the dress length seemed to be about knee high.