Chapter 17

"Who wouldn't be?" Ali teased the reporter, pulling on Sam's shirt. The show was over. Either Ali didn't want to answer the question or...well, Sam didn't want to follow that train of thought.

Once inside the club, Sam opened his mouth, ready to make amends. Ali squeezed his hand, turning her fake bright smile at him and with her eyes, indicating the waiting hostess who was closely watching them.

The apology died on his lips.

"Mr. Harrington," the tall, lanky blonde purred at him. "How nice to have you back with us."

Sam mentally moaned. This was not going to help. Why had he thought coming to a club he had frequented when he was single was a good idea? Oh right, he wasn't thinking. This was all Charlie's idea. His cousin had suggested the location and Sam had just wanted a fun night out.

"Nice to be back." Did he just say that? Ali's hand slipped out of his as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. Sam mentally smacked himself.

The blonde flipped her hair and smiled demurely in response, completely ignoring Ali and brushed past Sam. "If you'll come this way, I'll call the elevator to the VIP lounge."

She slid a key card into a slot on the wall and there was a ding as the elevator opened. "Enjoy your evening," sang the hostess as Sam and Ali separately entered the small space.

The elevator doors slowly closed. Sam turned to Ali immediately but was unable to look her in the eye, afraid of what he might see there. "I'm so sorry," he blurted out, desperate to make amends

"I don't know what I was thinking." The words started rushing out of Sam, his feet matching them as he paced back and forth across the short width of the elevator. "Obviously I wasn't thinking! Thinking about you."

Running his hands over his face, Sam couldn't stop the words. "I know we agreed to keep a low profile with the press, but I...I couldn't take it anymore. All those pictures of you and him together. Over and over, wherever I turn. And they keep replaying in my head. Every time I close my eyes," Sam closed his eyes for a moment and then sighed before opening them again, "All I can see is you and him, smiling, holding each other. I think....no...I wanted the world to know that you are with me, not him, give the bottom feeders a new image to play with. I just wanted...just one picture of the two of us, of you and me, smiling at the camera. I'm so sorry Ali. I'll never do it again. Please, please forgive me."

Sam ran out of words and his feet followed, stopping on the opposite side of the elevator to Ali. He dared to look at her, to see her reaction. He was prepared to get on his knees if he had to and beg for forgiveness.

Raising his gaze, Sam wasn't prepared for what he saw. A small smile greeted him. He didn't understand.

"You wanted the world to know we're together?" There was a kind of awe in her voice. "Even after...even with all my baggage, you still want to be with me."

Sam closed the gap between them in two quick strides, grasping her face in his palms, pressing his forehead against hers. "Oh, Ali. Of course, I do. Never doubt that."

The elevator dinged and the doors opened, breaking their cocoon, ushering in the bass-laden music of the club. Sam didn't want to move, enjoying the reassuring warmth of Ali's touch, but they couldn't stay in the elevator forever. Taking her hand, he told Ali that he loved her.

"I love you more," Ali answered. Their code for everything is okay. Sam felt some of the tension leave his shoulders.

It was still pretty early for the NYC nightlife scene so it was easy to spot Charlie in the dimly lit lounge. Sitting in a square of couches, near the balcony that overlooked a crowded dance floor, he had two women with him. Sam rolled his eyes. Had his cousin been fishing already and forgotten that Sam was with Ali?