Chapter Thirty

Thursday 24 September 1998

Harry

"Do you have to go?" So I may be whining, but I have a very good reason.

"I need to finish the nest, I'm almost done, I promise," my mate murmurs.

"Hmph, okay, but only 'cause you promised. But as quick as possible, please? Need you here with me."

"Okay."

"I'll be in Gryffindor, come find me, okay?"

"In... Gryffindor?" I see the fear flash in his eyes. He's still scared of the lions, especially if I'm not with him, which, yes, I suppose makes sense. I wish he didn't have to be, though.

"Just ask the Fat Lady for me, okay, you don't need to come in if you don't want to."

"O-okay. I'll be quick." He goes to get up - no, Draco, mate - but my muscles tense up completely by instinct and he falls back into my lap.

"Wait, give me a kiss first?" He blushes - so cute, Merlin - but presses his lips against mine gently. "I'll miss you," I murmur into his mouth.

"I'll miss you too."

"Then don't go..." I realise a bit too late that it's an order. I still need to be careful with those around him. As much as he's getting more comfortable with me, he still can't outright disobey me, however much I'm not being serious. I kiss him again to say sorry. "Go, my love. But be quick."

When he leaves, I watch him until he's out of sight, then sigh and get up to head towards the Gryffindor common room. I haven't been spending much time with my friends, which I'm honestly unhappy about. Of course, I love every second I spend with Draco, and I'm definitely starting to get along with his friends, and Neville's always with Zabini too, but I miss my group. We've been through so much together - it's weird being so separated from them.

Who cares, they don't understand, I don't like them. Can we go and find Draco now, please?

No, Eli. First of all, Draco needs to make this nest, it will make him happy. And you only don't like my friends because you don't know them. I fought a war with them, they've stayed with me for over seven years, and I owe so much to them. I shouldn't have ignored them recently.

Ugh, fine.

The Fat Lady's portrait swings open as I say the password, and I crawl through. Like yesterday, everyone turns to look at me, then almost in unison turns to the corner where my friends sit. The blokes all stand up, Ron at the front.

"Ron, please this is a bad idea-" Hermione murmurs.

"What's going on?" I ask. Because something obviously is. And whatever it is, the silence that lays over the room like snow suggests everyone knows about it but me.

"No Malfoy with you today? What, bored-" Hermione slaps Seamus' hand, effectively cutting him off. Good thing too.

Bored? Bored! I would never get bored of my mate-

I decide to block you out, much to your protest. I have a feeling your commentary might make me mildly irrational in this situation, and I need to have a proper conversation with my friends. I know they're angry with me, and they have a right to be. I don't need you persuading me to bite their heads off.

"Draco's making our nest. Now what's going on? If you want to talk, we should probably head upstairs." The boys look around, slightly embarrassed, as if just realising the entire room's attention was on them.

"Fine. Okay. Let's go upstairs."

"Harry, wait, don't-"

"It's fine, Hermione. Don't worry."