Chapter 45 - Fox

If someone had told him he would find Alex in Whitecliff Bay, a small harbour village close to the Horseshoe Mountains, he would not have believed them. 

On the run for too many days, riding until Badger's horses almost collapsed and his bottom ached as much as the headache pounding from his neck to his temples, her sudden appearance among the Jade Islandic merchants seemed more a figment of his overactive imagination than the truth. 

There came no heartfelt embrace or words fed by Kindness, just a lingering stare. He contemplated touching her arm, to assure she was as real as the rain soaking him to the bone. The bewildered look on her face, as well as the iron dagger in her hand, refrained him from doing so.

Did this mean Nick was here too? That they had not made it to Sundale after fleeing from Laneby? And Seb... what had happened to Seb? He had heard people talking of Prince Sebastian of The Greenlands. Surely Seb lived in Sunstone Castle now. So why didn't she?

"Why are you here? Where are the others?" he asked.

Her voice was as chilly as the biting wind as she returned the question. "Why are you here? With him." She beckoned at Katla.

"We want to travel to the Islands, together. He's my master," Fox explained, not ashamed. "He's not the evil man you think he is, Alex. We became friends."

"You didn't," she snapped. "How could you!"

"He was a man in pain, without a choice—I forgave him."

"Without a choice? He killed all those people, everyone we ever knew, Fox! He murdered my mother, Ben, and Charlie. Shot beams of green fire at everyone seeking safety in the River Faith. It's because of him that your mother is dead. Do you remember her—the woman you loved most of all in this world, the woman you wanted to marry when you were four?"

"Of course! But I'm no longer four years old, Alex. I'm eleven—a man, a Knight of Silvermark too."

A low mocking laugh escaped her. "A Knight of Silvermark. Is that why there's a price on your head?"

Before Fox could say anything, the white-haired Jade Islander behind him spoke, "It's true, Mum. Five hundred silverling for the man, and another five hundred for the boy, if he's alive. We won't find a better loot here."

Loot! 

He had only ever heard that word in tales about Jade Islandic pirates terrorising Greenlander coasts. What were they doing in Whitecliff Bay?

Katla didn't meet his gaze so Fox hissed at Alex instead, "You're not merchants."

"And you don't want to go to the Islands, Knight," she spat.

"It's 'My Lord', actually."

She huffed. "No, it's not."

The God of Wrath climbed up his back as she turned away from him and slipped past Katla, joining the woman with six golden belts running from shoulder to waist.

Alex murmured something to the woman, receiving a glare and a feisty reply in return. "I know what they are, Greenie. Whatever past quarrels you have with them—hold your tongue."

Fox couldn't help but gloat. Her behaviour was just like in Laneby when she had belittled him and called him names. Alex never believed he was capable of doing anything. He was a nobody in her eyes, a freak, a Muttonhead.

She was so very wrong. All the foam of the Jade Sea stuffed in her tiny brain. He would show her; they had weeks together on their journey to the Islands. That was... if Katla managed to convince the woman.