0.06 | Let's Get This Bread

"Ruby, speak up something. You have been sitting there rock solid ─ totally wordless as if I'm talking to the walls," Emily gave the word a loathing swirl as she crouched down to the side of the bed. "What did he say?"

With a cup of simple tea being transferred and secured in Ruby's hand carelessly, she took from there slowly, "Emily, tell me one thing, honestly, am I not fit for this world? Clearly, I'm not. Because I'm not rich, sexy, and educated. Or maybe because I don't have a cunning mind?"

"W-why are saying that? No. You are totally fine. Only if it was in my hands, I would have somehow told Madame Tào to set you free forever."

"Because the way this world carries on its business, it is fucking dangerous," Ruby pondered, breathing hard. Her head throbbed with torment. It was traumatic, the fact that he wanted her to use in somebody else's place as a replacement. That was so against what demotics do, so how could she shake hands with him? No. Never. Fine, she was betrayed and had to forget everything and get a move on. It was supposed to be as simple as that, but she wasn't convinced by the idea of someone making her a fool.

"And what's that paper in your hand?" Emily asked worriedly as she took the crumpled note and read it.

"He was a liar. A cheat. The fact that he lied to me just leaves a bad taste in my mouth," Ruby ventured, causing the corner of her lips to turn up as she took a small sip of the now lukewarm tea. "Now I know why my favorite tea tastes so weak."

"No way. Did he?" Emily blurted with her eyes popping out of her head.

"Instead, he wants me to assume the identity of someone ─ live and breathe her life ─ excellent." Ruby's temperament cooled down and she checked on her friend's face simultaneously to know if she did the right thing.

"So, what did you say?" Emily's voice lowered. She allowed her gaze to search her face in stealth. "What was your call?"

"What do you mean by that?'" At first, she laughed and then thrust her hand in her direction as she morphed her face in disgust at the same time. "I controlled myself from abusing that man in front of so many people at the restaurant for developing otherworldly ideas."

"But he seemed like a man of substance, clothed in good attire and his demeanor was like that of an elite class man." Her mind seemed to be clouded with indifferent thoughts about him, just like Ruby's. But Ruby somehow felt distanced from Joseph, mainly because of that unforgettable lie that closed the doors of hope for her. "This is strange."

Ruby started to feel weighed down emotionally and psychologically after facing yet another morale-sapping defeat.

"Sadly, there is no torrent like greed. I'm glad that I've ended Joseph's chapter without getting a rash," Ruby retorted wistfully. "Okay, I need a hot shower to calm down my nerves. Let's have something good after that."

"Ruby, the geyser isn't working? You will have to bathe in the cold water." Emily stopped Ruby from taking a step forward toward the bathroom.

"What's wrong with the geyser? We got it fixed three days ago," Ruby muttered, her body frame tensed.

Emily shrugged her shoulders before spinning around and continuing her work of doing the dishes.

"Cool." Ruby tied her hair in a loose bun and crashed on her bed before turning on the TV. The buzzing sound emanated and colorful strips flickered on the screen like the strips of photo booth rainbow hues. "Emily, why aren't the channels coming?" she inquired testily.

"Starting today they are included in the premium plan, we have got to purchase one to continue watching them. Check if the advertisement channels are coming," Emily sat down on the edge of Ruby's bed, spreading the leftover salted mashed potatoes on the bread.