A Fisherman's Catch

"For there are devils in the deep,

but worst are the ones we make."

-Patrick Ness

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun had risen on the horizon, waking up with its brightness the whole world and welcoming a brand new day. The cold temperature and the freezing wind of the previous days were completely forgotten as the rays of warmth caressed with fondness the rocky landscape and the calm surface of the sea.

The rays sparkled as they touched the salty waters, creating the illusion of moving stars in this infinity of blue. They moved around in the clear waters like moving galaxies as the small wooden boat made its way out of the protected harbor of Seaworth. Father and son had begun with the first hint of light, afraid that this beautiful weather wouldn't last for too long.

They were making a living out of fishing but with the constant rain and strong winds, they weren't able to sail these past few days. It was too dangerous for them as their small boat wouldn't stand a chance against such severe weather conditions. So, they had been impatiently waiting in the safety of their homes for the sun to reveal itself and the waves to calm down. And finally, God had heard their prayers and they were able to return back in their everyday routine.

Their wooden boat moved elegantly on the calm surface of the sea as the sun caressed lovingly their faces. Father and son, being fishermen for a couple of years now, knew exactly the places that would gift them with a good and large catch. They navigated their boat towards the familiar path that would lead them there, hoping that their catch would make up for the money they lost during their absence.

As they approached the intimate waters, the older man threw their anchor to the sea bringing effectively a stop to the boat's movements. The young lad took hold of the yellow nets, which he had repaired only a few hours ago, and skillfully threw them into the water. And then, they patiently waited for them to be filled with fish before they could drag them up to their boat.

As they engrossed themselves in merry conversation, they were completely unaware of the things happening beneath the surface of the water. Perhaps, they were as ignorant as the young prince of Atlantis, who was returning back to his home. He was moving his powerful fins, swimming through the ocean's waters elegantly as he followed the familiar way towards his father's kingdom.

Neither Havelock nor the fishermen had a single clue of what was going to happen soon as they were enjoying the blissful lie of ignorance. However, Sethelious was a clever and cunning man, taking advantage of everything he was aware of. Neptune's older brother had lived long enough in Atlantis to know exactly how the Atlanteans were thinking and acting.

He knew very well that his brother expected him to attack the city with his army and was well prepared to defend his people. Therefore, he had decided to strike them in a completely unexpected way, before he could finally claim his kingdom back. He had decided to utterly surprise them, counting onto the chaos and discouragement his hit would bring to them.

Because what chances do you have, when your enemies multiply instead of diminishing?

Returning back to the city of Atlantis, the young mer prince was left with a bittersweet taste in his mouth. He had so many memories in his father's underwater kingdom, filled with both sadness and happiness. His home would always have a special place in his heart, not only for the house that provided him with comfort and relaxation but also, for the people that were close to him and had touched his mind and heart. However, it wasn't as fulfilling as it used to be.