Chapter 12

Xiao Lin sat opposite a skinny middle aged and blank-faced man who had two palace guards standing behind him.

"Lady Xiao Lin, I'm Jin, a personnel of ministry of rites.  I'll be straight to the point. You're invited to perform your dance at the banquet which will be held at a Imperial palace next month. Of course, you'll be paid for it. And if His Majesty liked your performance, you may be rewarded extra personally by him."

Xiao Lin listened and nodded, happy inside. Of course, this was what he was aiming for. But he never expected for the opportunity to come knocking at his door. Finally, after bad experiences in the capital city something good happened. But, before he could happily accept, what official Jin said next made him pause.

"But there is one condition. You're to live in the palace starting tomorrow until your final performance. Musicians, clothing and whatever you need for your performance will be provided and arranged by palace staff."

Xiao Lin frowned upon hearing that. "Why that condition?"

Jin also didn't know. He suddenly got order from chief eunuch yesterday to go and hire a dancer named Xiao Lin for next month event. And that, the lady had to live in the palace too. He was baffled by this order but didn't dare question as he was just a low rank official. Performers or artists never stay in imperial palace until their performances unless they were hired as palace's exclusively staff.

Official Jin had suspected that the other party would ask this question, so he came prepared.

"It is because of palace security reasons and to make it easy for your lady to rehearse. You can't bring musicians from outside. Imperial palace would provide you. Also, if you have any specific clothing demand for your performance, you'll be provided with them too. Whether you want to perform solo or if you want background dancers; whatever your desired arrangement.

"Also, you can't come to palace everyday to arrange for things and discuss. Considering your financial status, it would be hard for you to do that. So, it's better to stay in palace. And you won't have to worry about extra expenses." Jin replied ambiguously to original question and added more of persuasive material in his answer. He knew lady wasn't rich and just appeared few months ago in the capital. It was pretty clear she came here to earn money.

Xiao Lin thought about it for a second. But didn't find anything wrong with the answer. So, he happily agreed. This was a good chance appearing at a perfect timing. He won't have to face that despicable Kang Heng again if he went to palace. And it was just until his performance anyway. Just a temporary stay. No matter how Xiao Lin looked at it; it was all pros and no cons.

As if remembering something, Xiao Lin asked. "Can I bring my attended with me?"

Jin nodded. "Yes."

Xiao Lin smiled and thanked him. After that, Jin left. But he left two palace guards, which he brought with him, behind. Xiao Lin was perplexed but official Jin said before leaving that they were to assist and accompany him to palace tomorrow. Xiao Lin only thanked official Jin for his consideration. He wasn't a native of this world, so he neither knew nor understood lots of things. Of course, he was oblivious to the fact that those guards were under order to protect him and assist him for his safe journey.

***

The next morning, a carriage came to take them to palace. Xiao Lin and Su Ming sat in the carriage while the two guards sat in the front. He didn't have much luggage to begin with, so it didn't take long to pack whatever he needed.

They set out in the morning and reached the palace gates in the noon. They didn't have to face much trouble at the gate as two guards accompanying them helped with the inspection.

Reaching their destination, Xiao Lin met a servant woman who was already waiting for them after he alighted the carriage. She showed Xiao Lin to his room.  It was a small average looking room, nothing luxurious. Then, she took Su Ming with her to show him his staying place.

Though Xiao Lin really wanted to go outside and explore the palace grounds but he didn't dare to. He'd read in the historical novels and watched those historical dramas which showed imperial palace as a dangerous place. He didn't want to get in trouble on a first day, so he stayed in his room and waited for official Jin as was instructed by servant woman before she left.

Su Ming came back after settling his luggage in his room. Behind him was another maid who served tea and refreshments. It was late spring, so weather was pleasant, not so hot.

Later on, official Jin came and gave him the information needed and they discussed matters related.

Apparently, the next month, peace treaty will be signed with neighboring Empire called Qiang Empire. And a big banquet will be held to welcome it's Emperor, Qing Jinhai.

Xiao Lin understood its importance and was internally excited and gloating that his first performance in the Imperial palace was on such a big occasion.

In this period of one month, Xiao Lin met  a seamster. He had him made two dresses for performances. Color, pattern, length and design; all such things were discussed and selected to his preferences with seamster.

The one month went by peacefully. But this peacefulness made Xiao Lin anxious. Because whenever it was too peaceful and quiet, he felt something big would happen to ruin the tranquility.

And finally the most awaited day arrived.

The Imperial palace was really lively. It was decorated beautifully. Xiao Lin was far from inner palace where Emperor resided. Well, the palace was really big that one can easily get lost. So, Xiao Lin didn't dare to wander off anywhere during his stay no matter how much curious he was.

He was really nervous and anxious today. But that's normal to feel that way. His performance was just after twilight.

Xiao Lin wore a beautiful white custom-made hanfu with red peonies. His raven hair was styled by a maid in such a way that half of his waist-length hair were unbound and flowed naturally at his back. He wore almost translucent red veil that one could only faintly see a hint of white skin and red luscious lips under - well, he had applied a red lipstick to give it that effect - only his big bright eyes were left naked.

The maid standing at the side couldn't help but praise. "Lady, even if you don't dance today and just stand there, you'll still tweak the hearts of royalties and nobles, or may be even His Majesty's." She giggled. She praised not because this dancer lady was immensely beautiful. She had seen more beautiful ladies in the palace than her. But it was because of this dancer lady's aura which seemed somehow pure, and innocent combined with her innocent looking face. And when she wore a veil, it only added mysteriousness to it.

Sitting in front of the mirror, Xiao Lin looked at his reflection, satisfied with overall effect. He laughed nervously, happy with maid's compliment. "Now now, you're exaggerating. But thank you." He didn't come here to tweak hearts. No! But only for money! Yes, money! He optimistically wondered if Emperor would give him lots of gold coins as a reward or some rare treasure item. Thinking about it, he felt motivated and less nervous.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door and Su Ming's voice came from outside.

"Lady, it's time now."

"Yes, coming."

Xiao Lin stood up to go.

A/N: For every comment, vote and read. Thank you, really. It's been a month since I posted my first Chapter and story has already reached around 12k. For a newbie writer like me, it means a lot. ❤ I'm glad you've liked the story so far, hope so you'll like it in the future too. This chapter is a bit longer compared to previous one. I apologize as it isn't much though.

21/02/2020