44: Birds of a Feather

A/N:

Hi again!

Here's a surprise chapter since I unexpectedly had time to post today. This counts as the third update of the week, so no chapter tomorrow or over the weekend.

Thank you all again for your continuous support!

-Tera

----

The last few weeks had been rather aggravating for Grace. Which was to be expected, given the circumstances.

The honor student did her best to focus on her studies and avoid Cal and Dana when she was in sociology. However, Dana always seemed to find a way to sit both herself and Cal in the desks around Grace – she used every trick in the book, from lying that she couldn't see the board to just flat out pretending that they were all best friends.

Grace had an image to uphold, and one that was threatened by her close call with chemistry last semester. She managed to pull through and maintain her 4.0 GPA, but word somehow got around about her lackluster midterm. She couldn't have people think that she was losing her grip, so making a scene in sociology with a head cheerleader and a popular transfer student was out of the question.

So she stopped putting up a fight and just tried to flat out ignore the two blondes. But even that, with Dana's constant nosiness, turned out to be a challenge. Sometimes she'd even get in a little tiff with Cal after one of them made an off-handed comment. They tried their best to not get in any actual arguments – they didn't need Dana feeding off their drama.

But Grace couldn't feel calm in sociology class. Not while sitting right next to someone she had a falling out with, someone she once really cared about. And it made it especially awkward and difficult when she'd catch Cal glancing at her out of the corner of her eye.

Why am I even conscious of her anymore?

Grace knew the only way to get rid of her muddled feelings would be to completely cease contact with her ex-girlfriend. But, obviously, that wasn't going to be possible with this class.

And I don't even care about sociology.

--

Fifth period ended on the Friday two weeks after classes began. Grace felt an urge to just outright ditch, but the only time she'd ever had an unexcused absence was that one time when she went over to Cal's house for lunch. Grace blushed profusely when she recalled getting pushed against the tall girl's front door.

But once it crossed her mind, she couldn't get the scenario out of her head. The soft touch of Cal's lips, the warmth of her body pressed against hers, the sound of her gasps and breaths.

She was so engrossed in the memory that she found herself walking down the wrong hallway. She tried to act casual as she turned around to get back on track to her sociology classroom.

I need to get a grip, she thought. I'm probably just sexually frustrated. Yeah. It's not that it's about Cal or anything. It's just normal teenage hormones.

Plus, she didn't like Cal at all now. They were enemies again, and their little affair was just a mistake. A mistake Grace wouldn't be making again. She needed to focus on her grades and the other things going on in her life.

Reassuring herself, she opened the door to the sociology classroom. She found herself immediately looking around for Cal, but the transfer student was nowhere to be found. Grace headed over to her desk, relieved. She worried that if she saw Cal's face, she'd start reliving those distasteful memories again.

Since Dana wasn't there yet either, Grace busied herself by taking out her notebook and laying it neatly open on her desk. She set her many pens out beside it for color coding her soon-to-be notes.