« 1 »

Thirteen years old
It was August.
Sam was freezing.
And as if the chilly air wasn't enough to pinch his skin and make him uncomfortable and frought with cold, Ruby stood and kicked him as hard as she physically could, the words spitting from her mouth so poisonous and hot with anger that they could have melted the petals of snow in Sam's hair.

"You're an asshole you know that?... A foul, stupid, nïave asshole. I don't know why I even try with you, Sam," Her silky, perfectly made-up complexion was patterned with a look of hurt and distress, and she stepped away from him, not caring enough to bid him any polite farewell. "You know what? This-" She gestured a manicured finger between the two of their hearts, her black hair swishing about her shoulders. "-Is over. We're finished. Give me a call when you get your dumbass head surgically removed from your brother's ass."

And with that, the girl stormed out of Sam's life forever. What happened to her was something that Sam never found out. She just up and left, disappearing into a forest blanketed white with snow, not wanting anything to do with him any longer. 

Not that Sam could blame her. He was rather impressed by the mouth on her though- what a woman. She knew some foul language, that was for sure. It even had Sam considering investing in the reality TV shows she had gotten it from.

From then on the boy then walked home with his head hung low, shame weighing on him. Canceling their date that night probably wasn't his best idea- it was probably more akin to one of his worst, actually.

"Dean...?" As Sam stepped over the door's threshold, the sound of a gun cocking and the sight of a barrel pointed directly at his gullet were the first things he was greeted with. He didn't jump and didn't shy, just looked up at his brother with a look of utter disappointment. "Ruby's gone."

Dean lowered the weapon as soon as he was struck with the realisation that this was a human being- his brother, nonetheless. "...Come again?"

"She broke up with me."

The eldest Winchester's eyes narrowed, his fanged teeth bared, and he shucked the weapon strap from his shoulder and placed the gun against the wall. "Are you gonna rip her lungs out or should I?" He grumbled, hiking up the sleeves of his grey Henley.

"...Quit it..." Sam sighed after a beat, wiping his eye with his hand. Dean was being his typical aggressive, overprotective brother. "It wasn't her fault."

Dean frowned, sticking his hands in the stretched out pockets of his almost threadbare jeans, leaning his body against the frame where the kitchen door used to be. "Why, what did you do, try and smooch her or something?"

"What? No, Dean, that's gross." Sam huffed. Dean always seemed to forget that he was only thirteen, and that romance remained distant to him.

"Never stopped me." The elder brother smirked, before dropping that smug expression at the unimpressed gaze he received. He coughed, scratching the back of his neck. "Okay, just... tell me what happened."

With another sigh, Sam pushed past him on his way to their kitchen, extracting a can of soda from the cool box in the window alcove. He pushed it open with his teeth and heaved himself up on the counter to take a drag of the sickly sweet fizz, his awkwardly skinny legs dangling against the worn, peeling cabinets. "I canceled on her again so I could help you with the Impala."

"Dude," Dean wheeled around, disapproval in his brow. "What'd you do that for?"

"I didn't wanna to go out, Dean, I wanted to be here with you."

A sigh befell Dean, and he approached, pulling a cheap beer from the lucky dip of cans, and leaning in a therapeutic manner against the dusty counter.
"Okay, Sammy, give me the lowdown here. This isn't about you wanting to be anywhere, is it? Did you really like this Ruby girl in the first place? Because boyfriends and girlfriends dont skip out on each other unless it's important, and you are fully aware that both Baby and I were gonna be here when you got back."

Sam looked down at the golden liquid in his can, and shook his head. Honestly, he found the girl quite irritating and intimidating.

Dean nodded, popping open his beer. "...Alright, man. I get it. At least you're not in a relationship you're uncomfortable with anymore then, right?"

"I just wanted to have something normal."

"Yeah, I hear you, kid." Dean tipped his head backwards and took a slug of his alcohol, a mediation that made his adam's apple dance. "Ah well. Never really liked that girl anways. She had those crazy eyes, like she was prepared to break your legs at any given moment." He said, gesturing two fingers split between his pupils. "Kooky."

"Yeah, you're not wrong..." Sam hummed through another sip, pushing down the sleeves on his parka.