15 • gathering readers

"Who in God's name started the 'vote for vote' trend and why?"

Hear me out.

I've encountered a lot of users here on Wattpad who do this, and if you're one of them, please stop immediately. Don't do it if you know what's good for your book AND if you're a 'genuine Wattpad writer'.

What's that, you ask?

Here's my definition for it:' A genuine Wattpad writer is someone who writes because they want to. They write because it's in their blood and of course, their head would explode with ideas if they don't. They adore telling stories, regardless of the concept they are writing about. They update their works consistently, even when no one seems to be reading them, and of course, they engage with their readers, listen to their opinions and even consider their insights.'

Here's the tea, if you want to get others to read your book, do your very best even when you lost the motivation sometimes. Believe me. It takes TIME. My other book (currently at 4k reads) took like 2 or so years until it got readers.

You're foolish if you think your book will rocket up to 200 hundred reads overnight. Be patient and give your readers time, they will appear eventually.

If people take the time to read your work, THANK them. Don't look at those books that have millions of reads and instead just set up a small goal for yours. That way, you'll stay inspired. It's all about Baby Steps.

DON'T go spamming the message boards of people, asking if they're interested in a 'vote for vote'. The 'read for read' is actually okay, just don't overdo it and always stay with the ones who look kind and friendly (always check their bio). Some are supportive enough that they accept reading requests, but before you let them read your book, make sure it's at its best.

Honestly? I HATE it when people ask me for a 'vote for vote'. It's annoying, shallow, and absolutely stupid. If you joined Wattpad just to gather votes or followers, shame on you. You're just wasting your time.

If getting lots of votes boosts your ego, then go ahead. Just don't go complaining in your message board if you don't get readers that stay. You brought it upon yourself, there's no one to blame but your stupidity.

And that, my readers, is a fact.

If that still didn't convince you then I don't know what will.

So, how do you get genuine readers?

Here's what I know:

- Be open and friendly (you can always join contests and talk with your competitors, who knows? You both can have the same hobbies and even like the same things)

- Always thank your readers (and if you can, ask them where you can improve on)

- Be a genuine reader yourself (don't be rude and just keep on voting without reading the book) (offer constructive criticism while you're at it)

- Don't be a silent reader (vote and comment! the author would love to hear from you)

- Use Social Media to your advantage (again, this can help A LOT)

- STAY HUMBLE.