Act I. ix

"By the right of the Council, by the will of the Force, Xaela Lo Verona, you may rise." Master Plo Koon bowed and Xaela couldn't believe her ears.

"Thank you, Master." Relief flooded her as she stood back up and couldn't help the grin that stretched her face until it hurt.

She caught the uneasy look Master Windu didn't bother hiding, but she couldn't care less about it. She passed her trials!

"May the force be with you." They chorused.

Xaela responded and was excused from the Council room. She walked through the archway and the door shut closed behind her, Xaela couldn't help the small squeal that escaped her smiling lips and the punch she threw up in the air as she jumped. When she landed, she noticed Obi-Wan sitting on the bench, smiling at her.

"Oh, Master I-" Xaela was slightly embarrassed and tried calming down but it didn't work.

"I take it that it's good news?" He asked, amused at her endearing celebration, and stood up.

Xaela couldn't help herself. She took a running few steps and leaped onto Obi-Wan, arms thrown around him. He caught her cautiously, the breath slightly knocked out of him.

"Oh, thank you Master!" Xaela held him close. "Thank you for having faith in me!"

Master Kenobi laughed and patted Xaela's back. Although she loved the feeling of being in his arms, she let go of him in a hurry and took a few steps back to create an appropriate amount of distance between them.

"Where's Anakin?" Xaela asked.

"Escorting the Senator back to Naboo." Obi-Wan said, acting as if he knew something she didn't.

"Oh." Xaela thought of when she saw him and Padme kissing, then of her and Obi-Wan hugging. She shook her head, she shouldn't be thinking that.

"So you're down to just one Padawan."

He nodded.

"It won't be the same with just Anakin, who will tell me off when I'm being childish?"

Xaela felt a sense of sadness wash over her, something she shouldn't be feeling as a Jedi Knight. She knew the Council would be sending her on different missions than Obi-Wan and Anakin, especially with the war getting started. She wouldn't be seeing her old Master anymore, and that was something she didn't want.

"Master," Xaela said. "Would you like to accompany me to dinner?"

"Dinner?" Obi-Wan raised his eyebrows.

"Well I have just become a Jedi Knight." She smiled. "I think celebrations are in order."

Obi-Wan nodded, scratching his beard.

"Of course, then." He said and the two of them turned to walk to the elevator. "Where do you have in mind?"

Xaela thought.

"I did quite like the Jawa Juice at the diner your friend has."

Obi-Wan chuckled a bit.

"I don't think some old diner is an appropriate place for a celebration." He turned to Xaela. "Might I suggest somewhere else?"

"Where?"

˜*˜

The lighting was dim save for the corner that had multicoloured strobes and people dancing. The two Jedi sat in the opposite side, in a secluded booth near the bar and listened to the blasting music as people bustled in and out. In the busyness of the place, the loud music, and the private lighting, they were invisible.