Karl Meier

"Mr. Meier, how long have you been in America now?" Lisbon was sitting in front of the man and Jane was walking around the room, looking at all the objects, standing here and there. "Five years now. I came here because my wife is from here." He answered with an Austrian accent. Lisbon thought he lost his accent after five years in America, but apperently he spoke alot of German still. Suddenly Jane asked from his place in front of the fireplace. "You know why we are here, don't you?" Mr. Meier's face turned concerned and a wrinkle appeared on his forehead. "The blue smiley face, I suppose?" Patrick rushed over to the table and leaned close to the other man's face. "What do you know about it?" He narrowed his eyes, observing the face of Mr. Meier, ready to notice every single expression on his face. "N-Nothiong. Really! There already were policemen here and asked me a few questions. But I know nothing at all about it, I promise." Teresa wanted to open her mouth and ask another question but her partner leaned up and walked out of the room whilst shouting "We're done for now. Come on Lisbon we have work to do." The brunette couldn't do anything but smile at Mr. Meier apologizing and say good bye before following Jane's steps. As she got out of the house, she saw him sitting in the car already, lost in his thoughts. Teresa sighed. This wasn't good at all. Not for him and not for anybody. He was more concerned and silent than ever. I just hope we get this done as fast as possible. 

Entering the car and sitting down behind the steering wheel, Lisbon looked at the notes she took, back in Mr. Meiers house. "And? Got a theory?" she asked Jane who still was silent. He put his hand infront of his mouth and nodded. "Yes. He definetly knows more than 'nothing at all'. We just have to find out what he knows."

"Great. That'll be oh so easy." Lisbon commented with sarcasm in her voice, rolled her eyes and started the car, heading back to the CBI headquater.

***

Back in the headquater, Lisbon disappeared in her bullpen and Jane made his way to his colleague Grace, who sat in front of her computer. "Grace I need you to research something for me please." The redhead looked up and agreed, getting ready to type in whatever the consultant would dictate. "I need to know everything about the cancer cure hospial that is stated the nearest to the place of Amy and Olivia Rooster, the victims that brought us to this case." Van Pelt didn't even question his request, she got used to not getting what the blonde man wanted to achieve in the first place. "I'll tell you if I find any connections." was everything she said and he smiled thankfully, laying on his couch als always.

After a little nap, Patrick got woken up by Grace calling out his name. "I got something here." He immediatly got on his feet and rushed over to her desk, resting his arm on the cool surface. "Both of them worked at an institute called 'Child's Health'. Amy was a nurse and Olivia worked there voluntary Grace stated and a small smile appeared on Jane's face. "Great. Now can you look for Karl Meier in the list of the hospital's stuff?" With a few clicks they found out, that Mr. Meier has also worked voluntary in the hospital. "Grace, we just found a connection!" The consultant cheered, patted the red heads shoulders and rushed over to his boss' bullpen. He stuck his head in the room and said "Lisbon, I got something interesting."

The senior agent raised her head and both eyebrows, got up and grabbed her jacket, ready to follow her partner wherever he would go.

***

In the car, Jane explained the whole situation to Lisbon. "And that's why", he closed his explanation, "I want to go to the hospital and ask for any projects, Meier and Olivia worked on together." "And why don't we talk to Meier first?" Teresa asked still trying to understand everything the blonde man just said. "Because then he could call the hospital first and tell them to lie." He patiently told her.

The agent turned her head a little and looked at Jane. He was so excited and worked on this case with such an enthusiasm, she never saw in his eyes before. Patrick noticed her look, and grabbed her hand, which she has placed on her seat,  making tiny movements with his thumb on her skin. She held her breath and tried to not show him the sudden electricity, which was caused by the touch of their hands, running through her body. "Teresa, this might be our chance to catch the guy and to release my hypnosis." His serious voice made her shiver and Lisbon nodded weakly before she turned her head back to the street. After a long silence she heard Patrick mumble "I don't want to hurt you."

They arrived at the hospital and got out of the car. Jane nearly ran into the building, his boss had problems to catch up. The consultant ran up to the first doctor he saw and asked in a loud voice "Do you know if Olivia Rooster and Karl Meier ever worked together on a project here?" The doctor looked at him, his expression completely blank and confused from this question that came completely out of nowhere. "W-what?" Was the only thing he could say before Jane's head leaned closer to the doctor's, his voice now unpatiently. "You heard me. Were there any projects?" Before the doctor could answer, Lisbon managed to step next to the blonde and pull him away from the confused doctor. "I am sorry sir. I'm agent Lisbon and that's Patrick Jane, CBI." Now that he knew who the people were he was talking to, the doctor introduced himself as Doctor Wels. "Doctor Wels, as my partner already asked you, are you informed about any projects two of your voluntary workers, Olivia Rooster and Karl Meier worked in together?" The doctor had to think about it for a minute or two and Jane stared at him unpatiently. Finally Doctor Wels opened his mouth. "Actually, yes. There was a fund raising project, Meier and Rooster worked at together. They hosted and managed a charity dinner with lots of entertainmen acts." As soon as the words left the doctor's mouth, Patrick Jane began to rush back to the car again, shouting a quick "Thanks" over his shoulders. Teresa sighed, thanked the doctor too and followed her consultant's steps.

***

"Mr. Meier why did you lie to us?" Jane's voice shook of excitement and he stood in front of the Austrian, locking eyes with him. Mr. Meier's face went white and his eyes looked anywhere but into Jane's. "You knew Olivia Rooster. You worked on a project in the cancer hospital together with her. Why didn't you tell us?" "I.. I thought it wouldn't be important." Before Jane could step closer to the man and hurt him, Lisbon stepped between the two of them. "Mr. Meier, this is very important."

This moment, Karl Meier broke down. Tears started to rush down his face and he whined. "We were very good friends, we met each other in the hospital and we became very close. One day she asked me if the death would hurt. She was completely different. Her eyes stared blankly into mine and her expression was so serious. I got scared of her. Then, one day she didn't came to work. And the next days I heard that she got killed and her wife too. That's just aweful."

Lisbon and Jane changed a knowing look and then Patrick asked the question, that went through his head since he met this man. "Did you know, that Olivia Rooster got kidnapped before you met her?" Mr. Meier's expression was a mixture of surprise and shock. "No. She didn't tell me and nobody else did."

Although it killed him, Jane had to admitt, that he couldn't find any signs of a lie in Karl Meier's expression. "What did you do on the 22nd of June?" Lisbon asked.

"I went on a sailing trip with my wife, her two cousins and their girlfriends. Why?" Mr. Meier still was confused and his voice was small. The agent and her consultant said goodbye and walked out of the house without any explanation.

Back in the CBI headquarter the team checked Mr. Meiers alibi and it was waterproof. There was no doubt, that Mr. Meier didn't kidnap Olivia Rooster.

Agent Lisbon and her team stood together and tried their best to not be too upset. Van Pelt's voice broke the silence. "Back to the start I guess. We have to check the next suspect."

Jane absently nodded and walked to his couch, laying down.