Epilogue III - Special

A loving heart is the truest wisdom. ~Charles Dickens

Third Person POV

*Christmas Week, Nine Years Ago*

"Luke," Michael said as he poked the blonde. They were sitting in their apartment, Luke was doing schoolwork as Michael watched a movie. "Luke, answer me."

"Michael I am currently preoccupied, what is it that you require?" Luke sighed as he looked up towards his boyfriend.

"It's Christmas in five days." Michael pointed out. "I asked you what you wanted, but you never asked what I wanted."

"Well what's the enjoyment in that?" Luke smiled at Michael.

"So you're just going to surprise me?" Michael asked and Luke nodded as he continued to do his work. "How's school work babe?"

"Michael I would greatly appreciate if you would please, stop interrupting me." Luke sighed. "I love you Michael, but please."

Michael nodded and went back to his movie but constantly watched Luke as he continued his work, usually spinning the silver ring on his left ring finger around. A habit he had gotten into and a habit Michael loved to see. Always reminding Michael that he was married to him.

Luke currently didn't have Michael's present. Instead he ordered it online, since it was custom made. He would have to pick it up at a particular store in town. So he was tense, knowing that the store would call and Luke didn't want Michael to see it.

"Hey I promised Cal I would meet him at three to help him go shopping for presents, I'll be back soon babe." Michael said as he kissed Luke's cheek and left the house. Luke only chuckled to himself.

"Oh he's lying," He spoke to himself. "He's going to get my present." Luke was not wrong.

Luke continued to sit at his books until he jumped at the sound of his phone ringing and vibrating on the coffee table. Luke picked it up and answered the phone.

"Hi is this Luke Hemmings-Clifford?" The young man on the other line said.

After a five minute conversation Luke was picking up his schoolwork and running out of the house to pick up Michael's present, and get it home and hidden before Michael could see it.

Luke barely succeeded too, he managed to get the gift inside and bury it behind his guitar in the closet just as the apartment door opened and Michael called throughout the house.

"I'm here!" Luke yelled as he ran to the front door. "My apologizes I was inside the bedroom."

"It's alright." Michael said as he walked inside the house. "I have to get ready for work." Michael paused and shook his head before turning to Luke. "I need to tell you something."

"Anything." Luke smiled, letting it droop as he saw Michael's poor expression.

"I have to work on Christmas." Michael said slowly.

"So..?"

"I won't be here Christmas morning." Michael said and Luke's face instantly dropped. Luke may not have shown it to a lot of people, but deep inside he had a child and was terribly sensitive. Hearing that his husband wouldn't be there was heartbreaking to him.

"Y-You won't?" Luke mumbled.

"I'm sorry, I'll be home in time for dinner." Michael sighed.

Luke took in a deep breath. "I'm-I'm going to lay down for a short period of time. Have-Have fun at your place of employment." Michael felt slightly bad as he watched Luke mope off to their room but he couldn't follow him.