CHAPTER 3

Walker is waiting for me the second I step off the platform of the train station. He's leaning against his black Audi. He looks ready for summer with his beach tan, Top Gun aviators and board shorts. I'm used to seeing him in a tux, since he's usually commuting back and forth to the city, but I prefer this relaxed version of him.

My eyes sting with wetness as I close in on him. I can't wait to live with my dad's. L.A never felt like home but seeing Walker standing here waiting for me does.

Walker smiles and pushes himself off the car to meet me halfway. I drop the suitcases I was wheeling in the middle of the parking lot and sprint the rest of the way, and as I crash into him, he wraps his arms tight around me. I shut my eyes and take in the moment, his gentle rocking motion soothing me. If I'm this emotional seeing Walker, I have no clue what it will be like when I see my dad.

"You look summery," I tell him as we pull away to observe each other. I've missed him so much. They came out to visit during the holidays, but short-lived visits were never enough.

"Your dad likes my Tom Cruise look and I like your dad, so win-win," he says, nudging me playfully with his elbow.

It makes me laugh. I love Walker's sense of humor. He's easier going than Dad and it's clear as day why Dad loves him so much. I remember the day my father sat down to tell me about his feelings for Walker. Even though I was just a kid at the time, I still knew that my parents hadn't actually loved each other for a long time. Dad took me to our favorite ice cream shop and explained that he would no longer be living in our house. That he had feelings for his best friend Walker. It was hard to process but I never once hated my dad for leaving. You can't help who you love.

"Let me help you with those bags." He points behind me to the bags I left behind like they were nothing, and like I wasn't just crying over them a few short hours ago.

"Is Dad busy at the theater?" I ask as he stuffs my suitcases in the trunk of his car.

Dad owns a small movie theater in town called, The Orbit. He's always been a movie buff and his original goal had been to be a director. When his dreams didn't pan out, he decided to open the theater. He knew the ins and outs of how to run a movie theater after working at one in the city for a few years. They were occasionally able to host movie premieres and special events. Seeing the movies before they came out, being around the actors––it all made him feel part of something big even when he never got his foot in the door of the movie making industry. His love for movies is what led to my big break in Hollywood. I wish I could've shared that with him instead of Mom.

"Not tonight," Walker says while we get in the car and strap our seatbelts on. "Dad's waiting for us at home. We have a surprise."

Dad didn't mention anything about a surprise. "Let me guess, he kidnapped Ian Somerhalder for me?"

"Oh, if that were the surprise it wouldn't be for you," Walker teases.

"C'mon, Dad. Just tell me. I don't do well with surprises" I plead.

"You'll just have to wait a whole five minutes," he teases.

His lips stretch into another grin. This will be torture. Walker pulls out of the lot, and we head straight for the town. I'm happy when we pass Dad's theater and see the line of people outside waiting for tickets. You know it's summer in Peconic when you see a line out the door at The Orbit.

We pull up to the small blue ranch I now call home and it looks just as good as ever. The house isn't huge, but my dads are stylish, and the property reflects it. Thanks to weekly maintenance, their lawn is perfectly manicured. It seems they've also just repaved the driveway with fresh blacktop. They aren't rich but the theater makes a decent profit, not to mention that Walker is one of the most reputable media lawyers in the east coast. They have a comfortable life.