17.

Hello parents, it is I.

Josie. Your daughter, in case you forgot about me. I wasn't going to actually send you a letter but then I realized that if I didn't you would assume that I was either dead or dying. But no, I'm alive and well. I think. I could very well be in a coma right now and all this could be just a dream. Anyway! Christmas is in one month so happy early Christmas.

Also my birthday is coming up. Just in case you forgot and needed a reminder so don't forget to send me presents. I don't have anything special that I want so don't bother getting me something extravagant, I honestly would love a pair of warm fuzzy socks.

Anyway! I hope you are both alive and well, send my love to Greg. Or don't.

All my love,

Josie

"That's the weirdest letter I have ever read in my life." A voice said behind me making me jump and drop my quill.

I turn my head to see James lazily leaning on the desk next to me, "Ever heard of privacy, Potter?" I said, swiftly grabbing my quill in one swift motion like the pro I was.

He scrunched up his nose and pretended to ponder what I had just said,"You know what? I don't think I have." He said, with a playful smile.

"Ah, that explains it." I said, resting my hand on my chin.

"Anyway, I was looking for you in Hogsmeade - had no idea you left. Why didn't you tell me?" he said, frowning slightly.

I gave him an apologetic smile, "Sorry, I was hanging out with Sirius."

He gave me a surprised look, "And he's still alive?"

I laughed, "Yeah, enough about me though. What about you! How did that date thing go?" I said, turning my body to him and giving him my full attention.

"Well," he said scratching the back of his head, "It didn't go badly but it didn't go very well, either. She kept talking to Remus. I kept talking to Marlene, Mary and Peter but she didn't seem like she hated my existence or seemed annoyed by me - so, I think that's good. Right?" He asked, uncertainly tilting his head to the side.

I bit my lip and thought about it, I was kind of annoyed at Lily for ignoring James even though James has definitely calmed down a bit and he was being a lot less James like than he was before. But she still didn't give him a chance! But, maybe it would take some time for her to grow used to the fact that James is no longer a 'arrogant toe rag' as she liked to put it.

"Um, It's good but it's not great. But don't worry about it. Baby steps, Potter. At least she doesn't resent your presence." I said, shrugging slightly. I knew that my words were of no comfort if I didn't lie to him and tell him that this was the way to get Lily Evans.

He nodded sadly but then he looked up as if he had just remembered something, "Oh hey, I was jus going to go to the Owlery. Got a letter to drop of to my mum, want to come with me?" James asked, with a small smile.

"Sure, lets go." I said and jumped up. "How is your mum anyway?"

He shrugged, "She's really good, she asked about you - again. Don't be surprised if you get a christmas present from her she really loves you." He said, amusedly.

I smiled happily, "I love her too! she's the sweetest lady ever. Probably love her more than my actual mum, just don't tell my mum that." I laughed.

"Duly noted. Are you going home for Christmas?" He said as we walked to the owlery. The owlery was quite empty once we reached, only one or two other students were there besides us. Christmas was in one month exactly and it was something I was definitely looking forward to. Presents, not having to wake up early and the fact that I would do nothing all day? Sign me up!

I nodded eagerly, "Yeah, I am. I'm just looking forward to sleeping all day."

"You should stop by then," He then paused, "You know, we should all meet up at my house. It'll be fun."

"I would but I have to sleep." I said and then called my owl and gave her my letter.

He rolled his eyes, "Come on, Josie."

I sighed and gave in, I knew I eventually would anyway. "Okay, okay. Why not?"

A light bulb turned on in his head and he snapped his fingers and turned to me with an excited grin, "Hey, isn't your birthday coming up soon?"

"No." I shook my head. "It's not."

It was. My birthday was coming up very soon but I didn't want him to remember because I knew exactly what was going to happen. Something crazy that's for sure, the boys had a reputation for their pranks. The last five years my birthday's have been absolutely crazy - hilarious of course but insane. Last year, the boys threw me a party and we all ended up in the quidditch pitch with no memory of what had happened, half-naked. We all laughed about it for ages afterwards but even after one year none of us can remember what happened that night. Also, it didn't only get crazy on my birthday - it was like that for all of us. The marauders simply did not know how to throw a generic birthday.

So the idea of celebrating my birthday was not on my to-do list. Honestly, I would be fine with just getting some cake and taking a twelve hour nap but I knew that idea was almost as unlikely as a unicorn cross-breeding with a dragon.

I could almost see the wheels turning in James's head, "Yes it is, Josie! You know what, this year we'll make it special. So special that you'll never see it coming. This year will be the best birthday ever."

I didn't know whether to laugh because of the fact that he was referring to the promise I had made to myself or if I was supposed to be scared of what he was planning. It was definitely a mix of both.