5.

"Today class we will be learning about the Venomous Tentacula! A very poisonous and fatal plant with deadly spikes! I know you're all excited to start but don't forget to write the heading and the date please!" Professor Sprout said, a young and short woman who always seemed to be excited when teaching.

I eyed the strange looking plant, with its giant eye-less head and sharp looking spikes. Professor Sprout said it was permitted to swear loudly if it happened to attack or strangle us.

"Look at that, they expect us to go near that thing?" James whispered incredulously.

"Anything is possible at Hogwarts." I whispered back.

"Be careful students because some of these plants can even shoot spikey spore-like balls into your mouths, if that happens or attempts to happen use the spell Difindo, now get to work."

A hufflepuff boy in front of us raised his hand and shyly asked, "Can we work in pairs?"

Professor Sprout got an excited look on her face, "Yes! that's a great idea young man- ten points to hufflepuff!"

I turned to James, "Look's like we're partners, partner."

He started writing down things on his parchment, "Do you want to be my partner for life?" he says in a monotonous voice.

"Was that a marriage proposal?" I said faux flirtatious tone.

"Sure, if I don't marry Evans I'll marry you instead." He said jokingly.

I raised my eyebrows, pretending to look insulted. "Piss off, I'm not anyones second choice. I'm either number one or nothing."

"Come on, you don't wanna be my backup plan?"

I laughed, "Your backup plan? Aren't you organized."

"Of course I am, I need one because if things don't work out with Lily and I, I'll at least still have you in my life." He said and looked up from his work.

I rolled my eyes, "We don't have to be romantically involved for me to be in your life. I'll always be in your life- you're my best friend." I said without much thought, my eyes widened when I realized I had confessed to him that he was my best friend. Which was downright embarrasing.

He sat upright and turned his body to me while slightly leaning on his arm, "Is that right?" He said and smiled proudly, probably because I had never admitted the fact that he was my best friend. Even though I was sure he knew.

I slumped my shoulders and tried to hide behind my hair; a little embarrassed of my confession and turned my body towards Professor Sprout who was explaining the uses of Venomous Tentacula leaf.

"Shut it, Potter." I said quietly.

I didn't say anything," James said smirking, he then paused as if he were trying to remember something. "Oh Josie I forgot to tell you! Lily was acting really weird today."

Weird and Lily? That word did not match the redhead who was usually calm, composed and mature, except when she was around James, obviously.

"What'd you mean?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Well, you know how you told me to ignore her right, so I did and it was like she was interested in me! Can you believe it? She kept looking at me every minute or so, she even asked Sirius if I was feeling okay."

I laughed not believing the situation, "When did all this happen?"

"During Ancient Runes, it's the first time I actually enjoyed that lesson. You weren't there though, where'd you go?" He did the infamous puppy-dog eyes, it was the face he did when he wanted to gain something, luckily I knew how to resist it.

I dismissed his questioning with a wave of my hand, "Don't worry about me, what else happened?"

He seemed like he wanted to question me more about where I'd disappeared off to, but thankfully he didn't. James then began to ramble about Lily again and I took the time to really take in his features. His annoying dark, messy hair, his protruding cheekbones and his infamous hazel eyes that were hidden by his round glasses. The hazel eyes that made all the girls crush on him. I also noticed that he had a new scar near his right eyebrow, probably from quidditch.

"Hey are you listening?!" James said in an annoyed tone as he pushed his glasses back onto the bridge of his nose.

"Yes, you said something about Lily."

He ran a hand through his hair, "No you muppet, I was asking you if you were going to re-join quidditch this year."

I pondered over it for a minute, "I don't know, I mean last year was great and everything but I just don't feel like it anymore."

"Oh," he said solemnly, "Okay, try-outs are next week on Wednesday if you want to come- you don't have to but if you do end up changing your mind."

What I loved about James Potter was that if I was sad or angry or annoyed he would know when to back off. He didn't pester me about it or stick his nose in my business, he knew when to lay off and he knew that eventually if it was a big deal that I would come to him. We were silent for a moment. But it wasn't an awkward silence, it was more of a comfortable silence. Where you didn't really have to say anything if you didn't want to but at the same time you could.

I turned to him and with a smile I said, "I hope you know that regardless of the fact that I probably won't be joining quidditch this year I still intend on making this year the best year ever."

He returned the smile with ease, "You keep saying that but how are you going to actually have the best year ever?"

I shrugged, "I guess we'll find out."