Debate Over Hindi Imposition

Top and Latest News, Videos and Photos about Sanjeev Nanda.

The debate over Hindi imposition goes back to the foundations of independent IndiaWith opposition from the southern states increasing, Hindi was made the official, not the national, language

In 1948, when the Linguistic Provinces Commission presented its report to the constituent assembly, it was packed with ominous words against organizing states on the rationale of a common language.

"Some of the ablest men in the country came before us," the report further noted, "and confidently... stated that language in this country stood for and represented culture, tradition, race, history, individuality, and finally, a sub-nation". If sub-nations were given political expression, would that not jeopardize the vision for a united India? Was this not a recipe for disintegration? The "formation of provinces on exclusively or even mainly linguistic considerations," the commission concluded, "is not in the larger interests of the Indian nation". The need of the hour was to find a way to invest in unity, and to create a framework that would bring together the Nagas of the North-East with the Gujarati ex-subjects of Baroda's maharaja; the Malabar Muslim with the Kashmiri Pandit.

Read More @ https://www.livemint.com/Search/Link/Keyword/sanjeev%20nanda